3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front-end noise.Sounds like tire rub, but it's not...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 PM
LowLok
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front-end noise.Sounds like tire rub, but it's not...

Just bought a "new to me" 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi. It only has 114k miles on it. I have had it for about a week and have noticed a noise in the front end when I turn. It doesen't have to be turned to full lock, and seems to be worse the faster I make the turn. The truck has stock suspension and a worn out set of BFG mud tires size 255/70r17. I have owned a lot of 4x4's with over sized tires and this noise sound just like the tire rubbing the wheel well and/or frame rail, but these little tires aren't nowhere close enough to anything to rub. I have crawled under and given it a good visual inspection, nothing seems out of the ordinary, had the wife turn the steering lock to lock while I was under, everything looked and sounded fine, I walked beside the truck and watched/listened as she drove forward and turned back and forth-nothing!!! I haven't had time to jack it up and check it out yet, but that is coming this weekend (my weekend is Mon & Tue, I have to work on Sat & Sun) Any suggestions on what I might check or look for would be great. All I could find in my search for front end noise was squeeks and pops, but nothing like this. Has anyone else had this problem??

Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

check your CV axles joints

Old 06-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Bent
Veteran

then check your bearings.

I had a noise like a mud-flap getting pulled up into the tire treads...
It wasn't that, but rather a wheel bearing

Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 PM
LowLok

Originally Posted by Big_Wheel
check your CV axles joints
the boots appear in good conditon, but I didn't grab the to check for slack, but I will.

Originally Posted by Bent
then check your bearings.

I had a noise like a mud-flap getting pulled up into the tire treads...
It wasn't that, but rather a wheel bearing
That sounds like the same noise I am getting. I will definatly give them a good check.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Taz-man
Lightbulb

I have a "01" dodge ram 1500 v8magnum 2wd had about the same prob + it was hard to turn & had 1 hell of a squeaking frtend noise , took it to a good shop that i trust to have it ck'ed was told lower ball joints where the prob. Since then i have drilled out all 4 ball joints man what a pain > my post on this replacing Ball Joints all was good till bout 2 weeks ago started hearing a pop in a full Rt -r- Lt turn & real hard braking come to find out the drivers side lower was defective not 1 time not 2 times but 3 in one day, i had bought the O Reilly Auto house brand and ended up going with the more pricey Moog witch fixed the problem then i started hearing a real strange noise like someone dragging a piece of sheet metal across the road come to find out that the backing plate behind the rotor had got bent out of shape when i used the ball joint separator to pop them out .after getting both sides straight all quite ! hope this helps

Last edited by Taz-man; 06-27-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Front-end noise.Sounds like tire rub, but it's not...