3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Weird problem with replacement LED tail light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:16 PM
ckapp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem with replacement LED tail light bulb

Ok got an odd one here. Bought a set of these LED replacement bulbs for the duel-filament brake/signal bulbs. I installed them and although the lights work, after 3 normal blinks the blink speed jumps into super speed! i still have one of the old bulbs left and when i insert it into either socket the signal speed is normal. Any ideas? the link to the bulb i bought is here > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...item3369d2f864

Old 07-30-2011, 11:26 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You need capacitors. The tipm(totally integrated power module)(electronic fuse box under hood) is causing the rapid flash because LED;s don't have te same current draw as a halogen bulb. I think guys use 6ohm/6w caps off ebay? Splice them right into the brake wire and other end to ground.
Your better off putting the Halogen bulbs back in. No LED bulb even SMT technology can produce more lumen output than a halogen. LED's are unidirectional and are only bright in direct vision. Move 15 or 20degrees to one side and they practically disappear. Sure they look whiter, but they are much duller going down the road as other cars see you!

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-31-2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: missing letters...my netbook sucks...
Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 AM
ckapp
Amateur

Well, guess i'll return 'em and get some more stock bulbs. More trouble than I set out for, i did notice they aren't quite as bright. Thanks for the help dirtydog u tha man!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:12 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace your tail light assemblies with the full LED models on ebay. They're plug & play (may require a little rewiring on the newer trucks) and look great -- no resistors required. That is, unless you're particularly attached to the 50s-style round things they stuck on the back of the later 3rd gen trucks...

Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, it's resistors, not capacitors. The system doesn't see enough load, so it "thinks" the bulb is out. Adding a resistor increases the load, so the "lamp out" warning doesn't occur.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

I just put some new LED tails on my truck. My truck is an 08 and they just plug right in. Look great, and are extremely bright (Way brighter than stock tails).

Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
I just put some new LED tails on my truck. My truck is an 08 and they just plug right in. Look great, and are extremely bright (Way brighter than stock tails).
As are the ones in my '03. WAY brighter than the incandescents that were OEM.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Icebreaker
Thumbs up Rear brake/flasher LEDs

I know this might be a little late for everyone but I did the replacement for Rear Brake/Flasher LEDs on my '08 RAM and they flashed rather quickly too. The resolve for this was to change out the relay in the front box with this from Summit Racing or where ever you need to get one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-80230/

Everything went back to normal after that just flashed like regular OEM bulbs. Hops this helps someone later though

Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Icebreaker

I know this might be a little late for everyone but I did the replacement for Rear Brake/Flasher LEDs on my '08 RAM and they flashed rather quickly too. The resolve for this was to change out the relay in the front box with this from Summit Racing or where ever you need to get one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-80230/

Everything went back to normal after that just flashed like regular OEM bulbs.

Quick Reply: Weird problem with replacement LED tail light bulb