3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differential Capacity?

Old 03-22-2006, 08:40 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Capacity?

I just took the diff. cover off and drained it, made a new gasket for it with rtv sealant and refilled it with a little less than 2 quarts, because i spilled some. I went and bought another quart, and it took all of that one too until it started to drip out from the fill hole...is the normal capacity for this differential 3 quarts? It never states in the manual the capacity, only the weight of the gear oil... I have a hemi with the 3.92 gears i believe...thanks for the help!

Old 03-22-2006, 11:48 PM
ShortBedHemi
Rookie
Default RE: Differential Capacity?

Iv always heard that the capacity is whenever the oil starts to come out of the little plug, then its full.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:31 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

yes, that is correct, im looking for a numerical capacity

Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It is around 80 ounces if I recall. I just did mine a month ago, I am rounding to 80, but 77 is ringing bells.

Did you put in M1 Synthetic? That stuff was $15 a quart in Ohio, shocked me when I bought it.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:04 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Be careful not to overfill, because I think dodge has a measure requirment below the fill hole and not all the way up to the bottom of the fill hole. I'll have to check, but something is telling me that filling up to the threads is not right.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:56 PM
mazz
Veteran

Capacity is 4.9 pints, which is a little over 78 ounces. Full level on the Chrysler 9.25 Differential is about 1/4" below the bottom of the fill hole.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:19 AM
Palm
Professional

If that 3:92 was a limited slip you should have put in the LS additive also.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:38 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

I used OEM grade synthetic 75w/140 and i filled it up with about 3 quarts, the stuff was $15 a quart, very expensive but worth it if it has extra protection. I filled it up til the gear oil started to trickle out of the differential fill hole...if i need to drain some out i'd like to know, but i do not see how extra oil in the diff. could hurt it since people sell diff. covers that hold extra oil (higher capacity) i mean it's not like an engine, i do not think there is any/much oil pressure in a diff. i'd think extra oil in it wouldn't hurt, if i'm wrong let me know so i can drain some out. my main concern on this was to make sure it took roughly 3 quarts to make sure it isnt leaking, because when you take the cover off for the first time there is no true gasket on the cover, they use sealant, just like i did, you basically have to make ur own gasket with RTV sealant, i bought Permatex Blue RTV silicone gasket maker. Thanks guy, any help is great!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 05:39 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

yes, i added 4oz of LS additive too, forgot to mention that above...

Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Palm
Professional

Overfilling the differential can cause problems by causing foaming of the fluid. I believe that Mazz in the above post is probably correct as I am pretty sure that when the fluid runs out of the hole, it is overfilled. Were I in your position I would ascertain that the fluid was at the reccommended level before operating the vehicle. A good dealer service department shouldn't have any problem giving you the information on the fluid level for your particular vehicle.

There is also a link on this website that will allow you to download the service manual for your vehicle so you can check for yourself as to the correct fluid level.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Differential Capacity?