Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Remove harmonic balancer???

Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
nh_wayne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove harmonic balancer???

I can get it off my 96 Dodge Stratus 2.4L.

Nothing Worked! I went to Autozone and borrowed the Chrysler tool. The balancer cracked. Then I tried the dent puller tool from them. Did not work.

This has never happened to me before. I am stumped.!!

I now need a new balancer when I get this off. Dealer is $101 and they have them in stock. Hmm.. must be a common problem. Only found 1 part store that can get one for $75. I need to call junks yards.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:48 PM
2coff
Record Breaker
Default RE: Remove harmonic balancer???

You don't need it, you just have to plug the oil hole and remove the chain, I know there photos out there pointing out witch hole to plug. I removed my balancer on my 97 and had alittle more vibration nothing really noticable, but you could tell the motor was working less and it moved thru the RPM's much quicker.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:51 PM
nh_wayne

It does not have a chain. It's a belt. Hmm.. must have misunderstood my post. I am trying to change a water pump and the timing cover needs to come off.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

Sorry I was thinking the balancer in the oil pan.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:21 PM
nh_wayne

I end up cutting it off piece by piece. I got it cut done to the center hub and the I notched it at 3 points. Then I hit that part with a hammer and chisel. It knocked a chunk out of it. Then I was able to oil it up and pry it off. I bought a new one for $76 and installed it.

I was told that I should have screwed the bolt back in part-way. Then I could use the the puller with the center pushing off the bolt. I bet that would have worked.

Oh well, the old one was beat up and chipped by the dealer when they did the timing belt recall work on it. It was junk anyway. My total cost was $114, $76 for balancer, $38 for water pump. The tools were rented for $60 and $80. But I got that back when I returned them. Total there was free.

The job would have been 4 or 5 hours at $80 an hour and $101 for pump at the dealer. Or less at a local garage but never as cheap as me doing it.

At least it's back together and the water pump is not leaking anymore.

Thanks for all you help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove harmonic balancer???