Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

lifter noise

Old 04-21-2006, 05:57 PM
3.0van97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter noise

I'm hearing a lot of lifter noise in my 97 3.0. I heard that the hydraulic lifters can drain if there isn't enough oil, and are noisy until they refill. Is this true? Would too much or too little oil or dirty/old oil cause this?

Old 04-23-2006, 12:18 AM
3.0van97
Default RE: lifter noise

I was doing a little searching and read there was a TSB for a similar noise on these vans. Anyone have the link? something about shimming the rocker shafts .... Anyone have success with it?

Old 04-25-2006, 10:37 AM
3.0van97

I hate posting so many times on this thread but does anyone have any info/suggestions at all? I'd really appreciate some feedback, as it's kinda worrying me. I'm relatively new to the Caravan/Voyager and don't know the engine all that well....

See my other post Squeal/loosing coolant to please!

Old 04-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Shirako

I have a 90 GC, the 3.3L and I have the same trouble, i'm the second owner of it and the first said he had it fixed shortly after he got it(it probablt came back with age), though I'm not gonna pay someone to do anything as it hasnt caused a problem yet, I have tried all kinds of additives but nothing has worked so far, next im going to try the thickest oil I can find and see what that does.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:18 PM
webbee
Professional

Usually lifter noise is because of crud in the lifter. I always run my motors with Marvel Mystery Oil which keeps the crud out and the lifter performing like it was designed. If your using synthetic oil it should do the same thing as MMO. If it was oil starvation then it will pump up quite quickly as it is run.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:06 PM
3.0van97

Is this Marvel Mystery Oil an additive or an actual synthetic oil? I've never heard of it here in Canada, maybe it's not available here...But as long it doesn't really pose a danger to the engine I can worry about it later.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
wraithyvan

MMO available at Canadian tire, might wanna try seafoam available from napa and carquest three ways to use the stuff follow the label directions. after using seafoam in crank case for 500kms do an oil change use the amount spcified on can.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 PM
3.0van97

I'll have to try it. Hopefully it will fix it. If not back to the drawing board...thanks wraithyvan.

I have tried all kinds of additives
Have you tried MMO, Shirako?

Anyone else with similar experiences with 3.0l lifter noise please post!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Shirako

Hmm, haven tried that yet, though I did look at it before, I'll try that then some seafoam if that doesnt work. also the noise doesnt start until the car is warmed up, when its cold it runs pretty quiet. o.o
Also I'm a bit weary to try something like MMO if its going to clean that well, my valve covers are leaking and I dont want to make it worse. lol

Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Shirako

I tried some seafoam in the crankcase today, while the noise didnt go away, I did notice a big improvement in power, and it runs alot smoother. In a little while i'm going to try it through the pcv valve hose to clean out the injectors.
Researching around I found something called AutoRX, has anyone ever used this nad have anything to note about it?

*update* Put the Seafoam through the PCV hose and wow, car starts up faster and runs alot nicer. o.o

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lifter noise