3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

popping noise from front end

Old 04-22-2006, 03:02 AM
mikemcdaniel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping noise from front end

I have a 2006 1500 Megacab and when I start from a stop going....maybe going up to 5 mph or so and I turn the wheel to the left, I get a "pop" sound. It's not loud or a clunk like a metal on metal sound. Just a muffled pop. It only does it when turning slow and usually happens if you turn the steering wheel from a 12:00 position to between a 6:00 and 9:00 (to the left). Funny thing is, it doesn't happen all the time. I took it in to the dodge dealership in Des Moines here and the service writer heard it. They thought it was a u joint, but they called and said it was fine. For whatever reason, they replaced the front driveshaft. I went back to pick it up and as soon as I started out of the parking space on the lot, I started a turn to the left and it happened again. I drove around the lot trying to make it happen again and couldn't. Then a service guy got in and we drove aroound the lot for a few minutes and nothing. Everything else about the steering is fine. It's tight, doesn't shimmy, doesn't wabble....nothing. It's just an annoying noise that I'd like to get taken care of.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:23 AM
srenken
Professional
Default RE: popping noise from front end

Not having the vehicle in front of me. . . It makes it hard to guess what your problem is. I would look at the steering gear mounting bolts. I have never seen a mega cab, and since you said they replaced the front prop shaft, I will assume you have a 1500 4x4 Mega cab. Does your truck have a rack and pinion (RAM 1500, and RAM 2500/3500 4x2) or does it have a steering gear? Assuming you have steering gear. Check torque on the three bolts that secure the steering gear to the frame. Try taking them to the upper spec. If this does not fix the popping, look at the front sway bar bolts. The frame will flex slightly when making turns, and if one of those bolts is under torque, you could get a popping noise. If that is not it, then look at the steering linkage and damper. It would also help to experiment a little in what conditions the vehicle has to be in to make it pop (figure out how to easily duplicate the noise). This will help you quickly disprove the things you have tried.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:26 AM
hdt551

My truck also started making a slight popping sound (which only happened at very low speeds) not long after I got it. It stopped after my first oil change when I greased the tie-rod ends, so I'm guessing they were not lubed from the factory. My truck is a 2500 and I don't know if the 1500's have grease zerts or not.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I've got to bring mine in next week. It makes a popping sound at low speed when turning the wheel. If I take a turn at say, 20 mph, and then I go to turn the other way, it will pop. Somethings gotta be loose. I took it in once before and they said that it was the front sway bar. I'm not buying it now.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:43 AM
2005daytona600miles

Mine does it, its the torsion bars popping in & out of the torsion mounts. There isnt a fix. I may return mine due to it. not sure yet---I love it too much, just trying to decide if it will cause further problems in the future.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Timmerduder
Veteran
Default 08 MC same "popping"

It started at first when I would take off and turn right I would hear a "pop". Now if I stay stopped, engine running and have brakes applied turning the wheel keft to right and right to left you hear a pop in each direction and looking underneath you can see a "hesitation" as all the linkage goes back and forth.

I'm taking mine to the dealer today, I had it at the tire shop Friday for a "shakedown" with no evidence of anything...

Any final conclusions from anyone?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I have had this same issue on my 05' for about a month now, the problem I am having is when I try to replicate it it wont do it which makes things very hard to try and fix when you cant find the problem. We think now it is the tierod ends that are doing it ,but there really is no way of telling for sure because with mine it only does it while moving and only when it wants to.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:24 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the same issue. It started yesterday, but it did not make a peep on my 30 mile commute into work today until I pulled into the parking lot. I have to make a sharp left turn and when I did so, I heard it make that metallic pop noise. It also did it as I straightened the wheel out and drove forward.

I looked underneath yesterday and didn't notice anything blatantly wrong, but I will have to get back under there and check things out more closely. I wonder if its the torsion bars. I have mine cranked to level the front, but I've never heard them make a peep until now.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 AM
jrod197

mine just started doing this after i put bigger tires on. probably due to more strain on the steering components. mine pops where the steering arm connects to the pitman arm. it makes sense that things get worn over time and will wear out. its crazy that its happening on newer trucks though. if you're paying for it, i wouldnt take it to a dealer. just check all the joints in the steering. its got to be there somwhere and there isnt that many.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:05 AM
jagass
Professional

Have you look all the oils?...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: popping noise from front end