See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

headlight problem

Old 06-21-2004, 04:28 PM
ctmc_99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight problem

My headlights have recently stopped working. All of the other lights still work properly, the headlight bulbs and fuses are fine. I suspect that it is the switch assembly but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? any "light" shed on this subject would be appreciated.

Old 06-21-2004, 05:47 PM
slza805
Rookie
Default RE: headlight problem

I had the same problem last summer. When the headlights would not turn on I switched to the highbeams and switched back to low then they would work. I checked both the bulbs and fuses nothing wrong. So far its has not happend again. Stealership told me it was possibly a loose cable to the headlamps.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:43 PM
ctmc_99

Thanks! Ran out to the truck as soon as I saw the reply and it worked, you saved me $95.20. I am now a huge fan of the site.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:08 PM
slza805
Rookie

No problem, hopefully some can help me in my post about my engine noise....

https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=46753

Old 07-14-2004, 07:52 PM
robust57
Rookie

Even though it sounds like the problem fixes by the highbeam method, I had the same problem where switching to high beams worked for a while. it usually happend when I was 10,000ft or higher in elevation. Then it would happen all the time and the high beam trick stopped working. I ended up having to replace my switch, and when I did it looked like the switch had caught fire, melted plastics everywhere.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:59 PM
KrazyKid
Default RE: headlight problem with tilt wheel down, not the multi-switch help needed

I need some help please, I have replaced the multi-switch that controls the highbeams but the headlights still shut off when tilt wheel is down...
I did not notice any obvious pinched wires when the column plastic shroud was removed but I am hoping that someone out there will know exactly what the issue is and how to resolve this problem!

Please offer any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-28-2004, 02:02 PM
sanddragon2004

Im having this problem too! what a pita!

actually its my wifes durango so i really need to fix it!

Old 08-01-2006, 05:14 PM
mooneyes13

subscribed.

how hard is it to replace light switch?

Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
xpman

The light switch in the dash is a 5 min. job. Just lightly pry forward the plastic piece that surrounds the front of the dash. There's multiple plastic "pegs" that hold it in place. Once this is off, you can get to the three phillips screws that hold the headlight switch in place. To get the connectors off you have to move the little red locks to the other position first.

I've got the same "non-working headlights" problem. Switching the high beams on and then off worked for a while but then the low beams wouldn't cooperate any more. I replaced the headlight switch in the dash and the problem didn't go away. The multi-function switch that some of you have replaced - is this the switch assembly that has the turn signal and high/low beam switch on the steering column that you're talking about? Should I try replacing this next??

Sorry, I know I posted this in another Durango forum but I really need an answer so I can get the wife's ride fixed!

Old 11-18-2007, 09:33 AM
chilipepperred

My 2000 Durango is experiencing the same problem where the low beams stop working when the high beams are turned on. I realize this is an older thread but did anyone successfully solve this particular problem so it did not recur?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: headlight problem