General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel system or electrical problem? - '97 Ram 1500

Old 06-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Truckville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system or electrical problem? - '97 Ram 1500

Truck won't start - have fire, but apparently no fuel. Cannot detect fuel pump "whirring" at initial key "on."

I've gone through the fuel system diagnostic procedure described in the Haynes manual, and have found a potential electrical problem. The Fuel System Relay (inside the Power Distribution Center) tests okay with correct resistance and continuity, but the problem was found in the socket that the relay plugs into. With the ignition key "on," the panel terminal that relay terminal 86 plugs into (one of the five "holes" for the relay plug blades) is supposed to register 12 volts, but it registers 0.

The Automatic Shutdown Relay and its panel socket test okay according to spec., and the Fuel Pump Fuse tests okay. I'm not convinced that there's a problem with the fuel pump; I suspect that the anomaly with the Fuel System Relay socket is preventing power from getting to the fuel pump.

Questions:
- What might cause the absence of voltage on the panel for FSR 86? Would this symptom prevent the fuel pump from operating?
- Could the Automatic Shutdown Relay be involved? What would trigger the automatic shutdown?
- Any other insight or similar experiences with this sort of problem?

This is a '97 Ram 1500 with the 5.2 L engine.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:01 PM
JCswm
Veteran
Default RE: Fuel system or electrical problem? - '97 Ram 1500

If you have spark you need to check fuel pressure
the DG/BK wire is the power wire to the fuel pump
It's only powered for 3-5 seconds after key on unless the PCM sees a crank sensor signal.... so have someone cycle the key while your testing .... You'll find the wire in the harness along the drivers side frame rail
But the easiest test of all!!!!!!!!!!
Have someone crank it over while you hit the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallot!!!!! 95% of the time they start and run for a minuite or two before they die again.... Then you know you need a fuel pump
If you need to replace your fuel pump feel free to e-mail me again..... you do NOT need to drop the tank!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:53 PM
KPoll

Hey,

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. Has new Engine, new trans, new cat-conv.
Ran out of gas due to a fuel gauge malfunction and bad use of math. After I dropped some gas in it I was having to drive with both feet just to get it home. Figuring I got some trash in my fuel filter I called around. They are all saying I have to replace the whole fuel assembly. So, here are my questions:
1. For a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 is the fuel filter seperate or made connected to the fuel pump?
2. What is a reasonable price for a new one?
3. Could it be any other problem other than fuel filter/pump, etc?
4. How do I change out without dropping the tank?

Thanks,

KP

Old 09-19-2006, 03:04 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: KPoll

1. For a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 is the fuel filter seperate or made connected to the fuel pump?
2. What is a reasonable price for a new one?
3. Could it be any other problem other than fuel filter/pump, etc?
4. How do I change out without dropping the tank?

Thanks,

KP
1. The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly.

2. They run around $200. www.makeitmopar.com had the cheapest pump in my case at a shade under $200, but I got mine from the local parts store.

3. It could possibly be a problem. Have you checked your fuel pressure? Pumps are known to cause problems when they're weak and you go below half a tank...or if you run them dry.

4. Dropping the tank IS the easiest way to change the pump. Some pull the bed. I've done it both ways, and pulling the bed ONLY works if you have a large hoist and a short bed truck. Otherwise it gets to be too much of a hassle. There is a write-up for dropping the tank here: https://dodgeforum.com/m_402587/tm.htm It's not as scary as anyone makes it out to be

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel system or electrical problem? - '97 Ram 1500