Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Q: BAD Hesitation, studder while accelerating?

Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 PM
uncleho
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q: BAD Hesitation, studder while accelerating?

Hi. I've tried the other SRT forum and couldn't get much help, although it seems polific.

WHAT: 2004 SRT4 hesitates in 3,4,5 gear during acceleration. It used to only require WOT to make it happen, but now it happens at half-3/4 throttle. It used to be only when I tried to accel hard from a crusing (highway) speed (~55-70mph), but now happens at even lower speeds. It occurs in the 2-3grand range. It feels like you lose fuel or spark (combustion) and you get these HARSH studders, jerks, hesitations. Sometimes it can feel like a brake chute opened!

WHY: That's what I'd like to know.

WHEN: I got the car in late '03. It is an '04 with about 60k miles. It started out very rare when I first got the car (i.e. ~1x/quarter... but now daily). It's gotten to where 75% of the time I can predict the occurrence.

WHERE: Highway cruising.

All my maintenance is per the book except oil freq, which is Synth every 10k. Plugs were done not long ago, but this was happening before and now after still.

Any clues greatly appreciated. I'll try searching again.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2006, 11:53 PM
black4
Record Breaker
Default RE: Q: BAD Hesitation, studder while accelerating?

changed your spark plugs and wires they have a tendency to go bad? ive even seen those symptoms with the coil going bad. one other thing 10k oil changes is a big no no on turbo cars these cars go through it like its going out of style. my oil looks pitch black after 3000 miles so i change at 2500.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:53 PM
vaughn
Captain

there alot of things that could be causing your problem.... check your injectors ??

Old 05-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Plan B
Captain

I have an 04 that did the same thing approx three times over two days. I used some Amsoil PI additive and it hasn't happened since. Couldn't tell you if the PI was the fix or if it was just coincidence, but you might give injector cleaner a try....

Old 05-18-2006, 11:58 PM
uncleho

I just found a "studder" thread that only said "wires and plugs".

I just changed the plugs last fall. Is there a brand of wires you guys recommend? Does it have to do with the turbo wanting to turn that wire (#4 I think?) to ashes?

How do I check my injectors? What is the technique? Or should I just drop some 'fuel cleaner' in the tank?

DAMN IT, MAN!!! How the F do you expect me to concentrate when those TATAS keep looking at me????!!!!!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 AM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

do I remember correctly that the TPS sensor going bad could cause this too??? I can't recall... or something similar...

stupid short term memory... wait, what was I typing?? ha-ha

Old 05-19-2006, 12:04 AM
black4
Record Breaker

that was mostly an idling problem when i had that on mine tp was affected a little but not to this extent.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:35 AM
resevil
Rookie

If you want I got my old plug wires if you don't wanna pony up the dough for some new ones right away. If you PM me ur address I can send em to ya free. They got like 30K on them but work great before I replaced them. I can do USPS Priority the can et to ya probaly monday at the latest.

Lee

Old 05-19-2006, 03:09 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Heres a few things to try:

1. DITCH the stock plug wires for $30-$40 dollars you can buy some new MSDs, or Magnacores
2. DITCH the stock plugs while your at it, go for some NGK 4306s, or Iridiums gapped a bit closer around .045-.040
3. Check your TPS sensor wiring, with the car running wiggle the wires, if the idle cuts out, its bad.
4. You could check your injectors but its highly doubtful they would cause the problem.

But heres how to check them to see if their leaking and you have a fuel issue.
1. Let the car run for a few minutes, then shut it off.
2. Open up your engine bay PDC and take out the fuel pump relay
3. Start the car again, it WILL be a pain to start, but start it and let it run until it dies
4. Replace the relay
5. Grab a big piece of cardboard, youll see why later
6. I believe its a 13mm deep socket that you need to unbolt the "pawns" that hold the injector cover on, this will release the rail
7. Pull hard, but not too hard, leaving the injectors clipped onto the rail, and remove the rail with the injectors facing towards the front of the car
8. Now grab that piece of cardboard and put it underneath the injectors, fuel will only shoot about 4-6" out of them, so dont worry about it getting everywhere.
9. Make sure you have someone with you to watch the spray pattern of the injectors. Now crank the car for 5-10 seconds (it obviously wont start), and watch to make sure they all spray evenly. Shut the key off.
10. Look to see if any of the injectors are dripping. Not even ONE DROP should come out of them, if it does, they're bad.
11. Try this 2-3 times to see if the results change. Shift the cardboard to the side so you can have room for a new spray pattern.
12. Put everything back together, but make sure you put lubricant on the injector o-rings or you'll risk damaging them while trying to put them back in.
13. If they dont slide in properly get them in as far as you can, then begin to tighten the rail back down, as the rail tightens the injectors should "fall" into place.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:40 AM
m88s22
Rookie

ive had the same problem with mine. i dont know what plugs you have but i found out the hard way not to use platnum plugs. i also found out i had bad wires. replaced both and now it is fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q: BAD Hesitation, studder while accelerating?