Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine quits while driving

Old 03-13-2006, 09:10 PM
wye1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine quits while driving

1994 Dodge B250, 5.2L V-8, AT. Engine sometimes quits while driving, not speed related or distance related. It just dies (no gasping, no lurching, no sputtering), then may restart in an hour, in a few hours or overnight but it always restarts easily after passage of enough time (however long that may be). Have replaced fuel filter, ASD, fuel module, crankshaft sensor, coil, pickup plate in distributor and removed after-market alarm system. Could the ECU be involved? If so, where can I get one tested (lots of places for Japanese cars)? Other suggestions for next try?

Old 03-16-2006, 01:49 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Engine quits while driving

These mystery problems are usually a fault in the engine computer.They can fail due to a broken connection in the circuit board that opens and closes with vibration or heat.This will be nearly impossible to diagnose without having the problem manifest itself while at a shop with computer diagnostic capabilities.
I would try a different computer either from a junker with the same computer code or get a new one from the dealer.Expensive but [:@]

Old 03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
wye1

Chopper, thanks for your response. I came to the conclusion that the computer was at fault. So, I removed the computer cover and discovered that the heat sinks and components were covered with a thick coat of grime. I tried cleaning without much success in removing the grime but did not know what solvents were acceptable. The heat sinks had to be limited in their function - just too much buildup. My limited cleaning revealed lots of cracks in whatever "sealant base" covered much of the components - looked like heat related. I have just installed a rebuilt computer ($165) and will test drive it later today. It cranked up right away (as usual), ran a little rough for a couple of minutes, then smoothed out. If this appears to fix the problem (500 miles w/o failure is my benchmark), it will be awhile before I post else I will post failure when that occurs.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:19 PM
wye1

Well, I'm not ready to declare victory but I've driven my van over 500 miles without the engine quitting! Solution was to replace the ECU. I found a good source for rebuilt ECUs on the web; lots less costly than a new one!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:23 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wye1,

So what is the link for this ECU on the web?

Stev

Old 05-22-2006, 12:57 AM
deadbeatdodge

I have similar problem with my demon possessed 88 ram 250 van. I discovered and replaced a bad fuel pump relay and it started up and ran perfectly. Then it died again while driving! I suspected the relay once again but isolated it and it tested out OK. When I jumpered 12-Volts from the battery to the relay directly, it started up 1st time and ran great. One of the wires (blue/white stripe) to the relay comes directly from the ECU. I removed the ECU to find tons of debris and dirt inside. It's air cooled by a vent hose in the grille which will suck up rocks and dirt if you ever drive on a dirt road. Anyhow, once I cleaned out the ECU, the condition seemed ok. However, there were lots of hairline cracks in the amber resin coating over the circuitry. Not sure how to repair this at the component level, so I will try to replace with a rebuilt ECU. This has to be the problem, I've already tried everything else possible. My mechanic was stumped too! Any info on where to buy a rebuilt or used ECU would be appreciated. I will post results once I swap out the ECU.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:08 PM
kethc77

i've got the same problem with my 93 B350 with a 5.9, where is the website for the rebuilt ECM's?

Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I PM'ed wye1. He's been very busy. But, did provide the info to me.

http://www.acdelcocomputers.com/comp...rycomputer.htm

Per his e-mail ...

--- clip in ---

Stevan:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I bought my computer from:
http://www.acdelcocomputers.com/comp...rycomputer.htm

They charged me for a "core" which I returned; however, I have yet to

get credit for the core. You might want to check that closely with them.

Let me know if this solves your van problem.

Earl
ehillard@arbbs.net

stev from Dodge Forum wrote:

>Earl,
>
>You had posted in the Dodge Forum about finding a place on the interent that
sells ECM's for Dodge Ram Vans. Please post in the forum under your topic or
you can e-mail me back at blanked@juno.com
>
>Thanks!
>
>Stevan
>

--- clip out ---

Last edited by stev; 04-20-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:38 PM
killerdad

thats funny i had the same problem with a 92 b-250 3.9 v-6 van i changed the computer,fuel pump (that was lots of fun) fuel filter, coil,ogs and cat converter. no luck! it would run like a champ but now and then just quit, but restart after time AND THEN someone told me about the hayes switch! the hayes switch you ask? (me to) well the hayes switch is like a tilt switch on a pinball mach. if the vehicle flips over it shuts off the fuel and elc. my hayes switch was bad

Old 08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
kethc77

where would i look for that hayes switch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine quits while driving