2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram Speed Sensor OBD Code p0500

Old 06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
RedMagnum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Ram Speed Sensor OBD Code p0500

Can anyone provide a picture and/or good description of the where the VSS is located on a 4x4 98 Dodge Ram auto transmission? My OBD code reader is showing code p0500 and this matches up to the symptons:

* loss of anti-lock brakes
* the "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit
* speedometer not working
* the shifting is a little erratic of an automatic transmission may become erratic
* no cruise control

My Haynes manual did not have enough information to help me find it. Please help me out!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:04 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 98 Dodge Ram Speed Sensor OBD Code p0500

Should be on the side of the transmission on the driver's side. Fluid will come out when you remove it.

The speed sensor code is a tricky one though. More often than not it's set because of a faulty or failing TPS. It's cheaper than a TPS though, so it's something people usually replace first.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 PM
WhiteBuffalo

I'm not sure about the auto tranny, but shouldn't it be on the transfer case on a 4x4? I have a manual tranny and that's where it is, smack-dab 10 o'clock on the output shaft of my transfer case.

If you need a pic, I can go anap one with my digital...

Old 06-02-2006, 12:27 PM
RedMagnum

A pic would be great! I will post a couple of my own later today of my best guess. Please note in your pic(s) where it is take in relation to the engine to give some point of reference.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:35 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

From the factory service manual in regards to 98+ Rams....

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is no longer used for any Dodge Truck. Vehicle speed and distance covered are measured by the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. The sensor is mounted to the rear axle. A signal is sent from this sensor to the Controller Antilock Brake (CAB) computer. A signal is then sent from the CAB to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to determine vehicle speed and distance covered. The PCM will then determine strategies for speed control system operation.
Looks like your speed sensor may ONLY be located in your rear differential housing. If you lost your ABS, then that's the one I'd replace

Old 06-02-2006, 08:19 PM
RedMagnum

Good news its on top of the axle so I shoulnt have any tranny fluid leak out. I'll yank it tonight and get a replacement.

wide shot
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...u/IMG_0290.jpg

zoomed in
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...u/IMG_0289.jpg

Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 PM
RedMagnum

Bad news. Spent some time with different folks at Advanced Auto Parts and the only sensor located at the rear diff is the crankshaft sensor, not the speed sensor. It must be further up the driveshaft, unfortunately there are three protruding from and around the transmission. I may end up throwing in the towel on this one.

Speed sensor I got from Advanced Auto Parts looks nothing like the sensor I pulled from the rear. See pics in earlier post. Thanks for everyones help. Any more ideas? Go back to the transaxle?

Old 06-03-2006, 07:37 PM
RedMagnum

Finally got the whole picture today from the Dodge Parts shop at Orlando Dodge. I always put off going to the dealership due the their prices, but they were very helpful this time! 98 Dodge Ram has TWO speed sensors, one in tranny and one in rear diff! Dealership asked me what Pep Boys and Advanced Auto Parts did not, "You need the sensor for the transmission or the rear diff.?" I unplugged one then the other and to narrow down which one was the culprit. It was the rear alright! As soon as I got it in the brake light, ABS went off. I cleared the DTC and it has not returned! Thanks for all the info above! Sometimes the dealership aint so bad!

Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM
ASH
Veteran

Thanks for the pictures and write-up. I'm going through the same symptoms with my truck right now. I picked up a speed sensor from Advanced Auto Parts, but it is for the tranny and not the rear. I didn't put it in yet, so I'll take it back and see if they have the one for the rear. I'm wondering if this is a dealer only part?

Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 PM
RedMagnum

ASH,

Advanced Auto Parts could only find the tranny speed sensor for me. Does your truck still shift? Try unplugging the tranny speed sensor (and the rear diff) and your truck should now have trouble shifting or not shift at all. Plug it back in and drive down to the dealership and ask for the rear diff speed sensor. Orlando Dodge charged me $46 and it took me maybe 10 minutes to install the new sensor. Guys at the dealership said the rear diff speed sensor failutre is a pretty common occurence with Rams and Durangos 97 - 01.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram Speed Sensor OBD Code p0500