Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'98 Caravan won't start...Help Please!!

Old 06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
ericar028
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Caravan won't start...Help Please!!

I've been having problems with my dash working and then going out...the speedometer the trachameter and all the gages just stop working...my abs ligt and check engine light come on and sometimes the transmisssion would slip while this was happening, but then I'd turn the van off and get in later and everything is fine....that brings me to my most recent problem, I got in my van tried to start it the alarm light came on and the van shut it's self off. I did this about four times and then it wouldn't even try to start...I unhooked the batter and took out the IOD (memory) fuse and left it out and the battery unhooked for several hours and still nothing. I feel like it's an alarm problem because it's been acting up as well and the alarm will shut the car down if it thinks it's activatedk. When I try to turn the car over now the instrument cluster is not working at all. I hate to tow it to a dealership if it's a loose wire or something simple..

Also, I tried running diag

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:06 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: '98 Caravan won't start...Help Please!!

I'd check your ground wires for a good co.nnection. Even simply cleaning the battery terminals and posts might make all the difference. If it is electrical beyond that, take your time and start tracing your circuits, but an alarm system can hinder that process. Does the radio and other such electronics (blower fan, lights) all work with key on? .Good luck.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
ericar028

Everything works except the instument panel. I just put a new battery and the connectors are in good shape.

I feel like it's a problem with the alarm but I don't know if there is a way to bypass the alarm all together. I read another post on here were someone had the same problem and suggested it was a problem with a wire connected to the back of the insturment cluster.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:35 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

A buddy of mine has a Plymouth Grand Voyager....and he has been having very similar issues. His dash wouldnt light up and the abs light and such would come on. Turns out there's a recall on his van for the ClockSpring....and his is also a 98 model....since your two vans are practically identical....I could assume that this is the same issue....or at least a great place to start looking...

There is a recall on the clockspring for the 98 Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Grand Voyager

Hopefully this helps!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

I agree with Devilsreject about the clockspring. My 97 had ABS and MIL lamps when that(clockspring) went bad. I vaguely recall no dash lights, but that was all. Always started and drove finne despite the trouble lights. Dealer took care of the clockspring. There are other grounds that may be the problem with the starting issue. You may have more than one thing going on here. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
greaseangel
Professional

My 97 did the same thing....was the clockspring. Took the dealership about an hour to replace, free of charge! Call your local dealership and give them your VIN to see if your vehicle is included in the recall.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Turbobearcat
Professional

this is all the recall information I can see on the Dodge caravan..

http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-...AVAN.1998.html

http://www.internetautoguide.com/aut...ase/index.html
both sites say the samething

Then again DCX is known for "silent" recalls as well..

Turbobearcat

Old 06-01-2006, 08:25 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

My co-worker was mailed his recall notice, and this recall was supposed to have been done in like 2000-2001.....so im sure there are thousands of vehicles that were missed.....

Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 AM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker

Clockspring did the same thing to my 1999 GVX when the recall first came out.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:16 PM
richardh05k

Wow, I could quote you word for word on my minivan. Did you find out what was wrong?
Check out the posting on this forum.
http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '98 Caravan won't start...Help Please!!