Print Wikipost

Oil, change, types

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mheath
Why wouldn't you just change your oil for $32??
No. Test the oil, not change the oil. The test is in addition to an oil change, or you could even do it halfway through an oil change.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:48 PM
ct1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil test?

I would call it unneccessary to test the oil at all. Most of the posts tell of guys using full synthetic oils that are long lasting and I think that a test would only be an added expense imo. When the miles are near what you are comfortable with and if the oil is very darkened by running time it is time to dump.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ct1
I would call it unneccessary to test the oil at all. Most of the posts tell of guys using full synthetic oils that are long lasting and I think that a test would only be an added expense imo. When the miles are near what you are comfortable with and if the oil is very darkened by running time it is time to dump.
I am going to test the oil I just changed and then I am going to test the current oil when it hits 6000 miles. I want to compare synthetic to conventional and make sure both oils can last that many miles.

I know the synthetic will be fine, I am testing it for silica content as well. I want to see how my K&N drop in is doing.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Oil and filter change for my Ram at the dealer was just under $32. For that price, it'll get in every 3K miles.

The dealer will continue to get my business, because when I told them I wanted an oil change they said OK and did it. Didn't ask about any unneccessary snake oil upgrades.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Jukeboxfun

I just got back from an oil change and looked at the bill 10-w30. So call them up and they hem hawed around about it making no difference. Finally they said to bring it in and they would drain it and put in the right stuff. Who knows though their shop is in the back, I hope they aren't lying. They said they won't need to change the filter ? How many quarts does the Hemi take?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 PM
humvee34

i belive 7 i read in the manual 5w 20

Old 08-02-2009, 11:55 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jukeboxfun
I just got back from an oil change and looked at the bill 10-w30. So call them up and they hem hawed around about it making no difference. Finally they said to bring it in and they would drain it and put in the right stuff. Who knows though their shop is in the back, I hope they aren't lying. They said they won't need to change the filter ? How many quarts does the Hemi take?
If they don't change the filter they are going to mix 10W-30 with 5W-20.

Is this a dealer? Tell them to change the filter and add the right oil, as well as telling them you want to watch. They should know better.

The following users liked this post:
coburncliff (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by sarguy01
If they don't change the filter they are going to mix 10W-30 with 5W-20.

Is this a dealer? Tell them to change the filter and add the right oil, as well as telling them you want to watch. They should know better.
Yup, that filter is going to have at least 1/2 quart still in it. Make them change it out.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
BMWNRP1
Thumbs up 09' SLT Crew Cab 4.7

Greetings: After purchasing the truck and discussing the maintenance with the service managers introduction, he discussed that they used Mopar oil in the shop (5-20). I asked who delivers it to Mopar? He stated on the side of the bulk barrels in the shop it says Pennzoil, both Dino and Synthetic. He went over all the service recommendations and costs, and I almost flipped. They do a hell of a lot of BG services every 5 K. Anyway, I changed the oil at 1,100 (I'm old school) in the 4.7 the first time, your right, the filter is a pain to get to and a b.... to get off (3 wrenches, bent the damn thing, and grabbed it with a small wrench). I hand tightened the new Mopar filter on ($7 at the dealer). I used 6 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic (Walmart, 5 qt jug $20 each). I'll change it again at 5k. Since I'm a Castrol user since 76 on my other 3 cars, I can tell you Pennzoil is clear next to Castrol, but the Pennzoil jug burps (sprays) when dumping/using the 5 Qts in. Have a rag ready. Any suggestions on what to use or how to get to the filter better? - Hope this helps someone. - Chris

Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Jukeboxfun

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Yup, that filter is going to have at least 1/2 quart still in it. Make them change it out.

Well, that's exactly what happened and now it shows a about 1/4th quart too much oil.....quarter inch over the hash marks. Should I try to loosen the drain cap and let some run out? I have been driving it since friday with no ill affects that I can see. I called and asked them about it and they said it would be fine. The dip stick doesn't look frothy or anything when I check the oil. I asked my father in-law (an old time mechanic) and he said it should be fine.

Quick Reply: Oil, change, types