Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil, change, types

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 AM
RTCarlin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made the trip from Norfolk, VA to Houston, TX (1400 mi) and I got the change oil message at around 2500 miles. I finished the trip and changed the oil at 2800. They definitely use break in oil from the factory, as the stuff I drained was pretty dark and stinky...

For this first change, I just used good ol' Castrol GTX 5w20.... At the next message, I'm making the switch to Mobile 1...

So, in reference to your question, I dunno.... but another 5k or so on dino oil won't hurt and you'll be broke in for sure at the next change... So I say make the switch to synthetic at your second change...

Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Scotrod
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTCarlin
I got the change oil message at around 2500 miles.

Exact same here

the stuff I drained was pretty dark and stinky...

Pretty dark here as well, seemed to leave a 'yellow' tint on my hands,,,

For this first change, I just used good ol' Castrol GTX 5w20....

Same, picked up 'a bunch' for >$1 qt on Black Thursday

At the next message, I'm making the switch to Mobile 1...

Same again, picked up 'a bunch' for $4 a qt on Black Thursday..

So, in reference to your question, I dunno.... but another 5k or so on dino oil won't hurt and you'll be broke in for sure at the next change... So I say make the switch to synthetic at your second change...
I don't believe there is a 'right or wrong' answer regarding when to switch. Some cars come new from the factory with synthetic, so any 'break it in and then switch' theories are just that,,, theory.

So why did I go with Dino now and then MO 1 later? Here in Houston, our 'extreme operating season' is summer,,,

(How much oil is 'a bunch'? Heh heh,,, all said and done,,, 88 quarts combined total! )

Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Zigggy
Rookie

Hi guys, I'm new here. Scotrod & RTCarlin- it sounds like you guys did your own oil changes. Is that ok or does it void your warranty at all? This is my first new vehicle.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Scotrod

Welcome Zig!

Void warranty?

NO!

Keep your receipts and a log of what was done when. Follow the recomendations in the owners manual, and you'll be fine.

I buy oil in relatively large amounts (cases) at a time, so I go even one better with my record keeping.

When I change my oil, I take a digital picture of the actual (7) quarts of oil and the filter used as well as a picture of the EVIC showing the miles and engine hours at that time. Keep each 'oil change' in an individual dated file on my hard drive. Sounds a little like a hassle, but it really isn't if you have a digital camera and a few minutes. (Quicker that driving to the dealer and back!)

Overkill, probably, but when you buy 'dozens' of quarts of oil and 6 or so filters at one time, the date on the reciept is not a good indicator of what time the work was done.

Oil doesn't 'go bad' in a sealed container. (Well, maybe after 20 years or so!)
I keep my filters in a closet in my house,, When they are in a climate controlled environment, they don't sweat, 'rust', etc.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Zigggy
Rookie

Ah, well that's cool. I got paranoid that the oil change guys would roll their eyes at a girl insisting on 5W20 and just put whatever they want in- you know how it is. Or maybe I'm just a control freak
Thanks!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Scotrod

If they 'roll their eyes', it's time to go somewhere else!

You may end up paying a little more for 'bottled' 5W/20 oil vs. bulk at an oil change place, but running anything other than 5W/20 hampers the operation of the MDS.

Honda has been recommending 5W-20 at least since 2002 for use in vehicles like my wifes Accord. If a lube station can't grasp the concept of why you want 5W/20, or try to rationalize why they use 'something else' when it says "Use 5W/20,,," on the oil fill cap on the motor,,,, time to go elsewhere.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 AM
hemirae
Amateur

had my first oil changed at 2600 mi (EVIC message). Dealer recommended and used Mopar 5-20 since it is still at break-in. Had lifetime free oil change deal with dealer as long as I keep the dealer's bumper sticker. 2nd oil change at 5200 mi (EVIC is consistent at 2600 interval). I bought Mobil1 Extended Performance 5-20 oil and filter from Autozone and had the dealer do the oil service for free. The service advisor recommended to just use the Mopar oil filter on my next oil change. Tjis will save me $13.99+sales tax.
Will Mopar oil filter work fine with Mobil1 EF?

Old 02-06-2010, 03:29 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Yes.The Mopar filters are decent quality.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 AM
rmcoastie

I thought the oil change interval was 6 months / 6k miles? Do you think you keep getting the EVIC messages early do to the truck still being "broke in?"

Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Most any of the oils rated for these new cars/trucks will go 6/6 with no problems.First oil change early for break in residue.After that 6/6

Quick Reply: Oil, change, types