4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Official MPG 4th Gen Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty48
Idle warm-ups can most certainly hurt gas mileage. I have lost 0.5 MPG just going through the car wash on occasion.

The difference between summer and winter blends is only the volatility rating. Most refiners increase volatility in winter blends to ensure good cold weather starts. It's really the colder, more dense air that impacts fuel consumption. On modern systems as the air becomes for dense, there is a corresponding increase in fuel of the air-fuel ratio. So the engine is just burning more fuel.

Regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 98,000 miles.

Quote: I have lost 0.5 MPG just going through the car wash on occasion.

I'd like to know how you figured that the car wash was where you lost .5mpg. This has to be solely based on the lie-o-meter, and is sure not based on any average mpg

Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
Quote: I have lost 0.5 MPG just going through the car wash on occasion.

I'd like to know how you figured that the car wash was where you lost .5mpg. This has to be solely based on the lie-o-meter, and is sure not based on any average mpg
When you perform a reset at fill-up, you begin to average against the tank, assuming you do not perform another reset until the next fill. You can observe a fairly rapid decrease in the MPG average readout anytime when idling soon after a fill-up and a reset. As you gather more miles on the tank, the effects of long idling will not be as rapid. In the instance I described earlier my trip through the car wash was within ten miles of my last reset.

I've tracked the EVIC readout against manual MPG calculations for every fill since the vehicle was new. As it turns out, the average deviation over 100,585 miles is 0.93% positive. That's less than a one percent deviation from manual calculations. It's far more accurate than I would've guessed.

Regards,
Dusty

2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 100,500 miles.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

It seems on the Ford forum they're always posting pictures of the speedometer and the mpg reading. I laugh my butt off. I can post 90 mph and 25 MPG on the meter if I reset it and let off the gas!!
There are so many variables in mpg I don't even acknowledge a mile or two in specific situations. I.E. average speed, tailgaiting a truck you will constantly get 2-3 mpg better mileage. Its amazing hom much it drops when you pull out beside him. But when my average drops 2-3 mpg on 2-3 or more tankfuls something has changed. I only have 32,000 miles. So is it the fuel, spark plugs, or what? I have the same heavy foot I always had so I won't even compare my mileage to someone elses in the same truck. If I want to putt around 60-65 on the interstate I'd get 2-3 better mpg. I'll just wait till the fuel changes or weather changes and see what happens. Its not cold enough here in FL for the oil in tranny and rear end to have much affect. Now where I came from in Maine, which by the was was 21 below zero this A.M yes it will make a big differance. Bot no matter how bad it may be I still drive a truck with 150 H.P. or so more than my Dad ever had and get 3-4 better MPG than he ever dreamed of. He had a 73 chevy half ton, 350 engine probably about 250 H.P. and never saw over 15-16 on a trip.....at 65 mph.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tunaman
It seems on the Ford forum they're always posting pictures of the speedometer and the mpg reading. I laugh my butt off. I can post 90 mph and 25 MPG on the meter if I reset it and let off the gas!!
Exactly. We all know how tribal some people are about cars and trucks and some will use dishonesty to convince people of things that aren't true or can't be backed up with empirical data. In this case I think the Ford guys might be practicing HDS (heavy denial syndrome). Based on the people I actually know or have talked to face-to-face, F-series fuel consumption has been a major disappointment, especially the Ecoboost owners.

Regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 100,500 miles.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tunaman
There are so many variables in mpg I don't even acknowledge a mile or two in specific situations. I.E. average speed, tailgaiting a truck you will constantly get 2-3 mpg better mileage. Its amazing hom much it drops when you pull out beside him. But when my average drops 2-3 mpg on 2-3 or more tankfuls something has changed. I only have 32,000 miles. So is it the fuel, spark plugs, or what? I have the same heavy foot I always had so I won't even compare my mileage to someone elses in the same truck. If I want to putt around 60-65 on the interstate I'd get 2-3 better mpg. I'll just wait till the fuel changes or weather changes and see what happens. Its not cold enough here in FL for the oil in tranny and rear end to have much affect. Now where I came from in Maine, which by the was was 21 below zero this A.M yes it will make a big differance. Bot no matter how bad it may be I still drive a truck with 150 H.P. or so more than my Dad ever had and get 3-4 better MPG than he ever dreamed of. He had a 73 chevy half ton, 350 engine probably about 250 H.P. and never saw over 15-16 on a trip.....at 65 mph.

Tunaman...the 350 chevy engines of the era you described were notorious gas burners. I had a 74 half ton that never got over 10 mpg so if your dad had a 15-16mpg truck he definitely had a good one. Mine would get 10mpg at 50 mph or 110 mph. It didn't matter

Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
Tunaman...the 350 chevy engines of the era you described were notorious gas burners. I had a 74 half ton that never got over 10 mpg so if your dad had a 15-16mpg truck he definitely had a good one. Mine would get 10mpg at 50 mph or 110 mph. It didn't matter
Agree. My '71 C10 with a 350 never saw 15 MPG. On a day-to-day basis I got around 11 MPG. In the winter time between 9-10 MPG. Our '89 with a 305 engine never got over 16.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM
NV290
All Star

My 11' is mechanically stock and the majority of my driving is highway. I run 89 octane and the best MPG i can get (using the trucks data display) is 14.5 MPG. Never higher. I have reset it each time for three tank fulls of fuel so far.

I drive typically 75 on the highway (posted speed is 65) and never drive aggressively from a start.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 AM
allmyTdrunken1
Amateur
Default 15mpg

Now that the cold weather is slowly on its way out my mileage is 15mpg. 50/50 driving. I'm not easy on the take offs. I love to hear my magnaflow exhaust and feel the acceleration. Especially when there's a meoff next to me in a coffe can mufflered car. I think it's great a big ole truck can whoop that loud obnoxious car that thinks he's fast. (Reminds me of old Harley's! All that noise and they only hit 40mph) I have been running the 87 tune off my flashpaq. I don't want to pay for premium fuel. If I run 93 octane and the 91 performance tune I can average mid 16s driving like an ahole. That's hammering down all the time and Passing lots of people on the interstate! I love my truck. I just wish the tow rating was higher. All that power and tow rated for only 6800lbs sucks! I recommend the programmer. Once you feel the 40+hp,40+tq you won't go back. Especially with an increase in fuel economy.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by allmyTdrunken1
Now that the cold weather is slowly on its way out my mileage is 15mpg. 50/50 driving. I'm not easy on the take offs. I love to hear my magnaflow exhaust and feel the acceleration. Especially when there's a meoff next to me in a coffe can mufflered car. I think it's great a big ole truck can whoop that loud obnoxious car that thinks he's fast. (Reminds me of old Harley's! All that noise and they only hit 40mph) I have been running the 87 tune off my flashpaq. I don't want to pay for premium fuel. If I run 93 octane and the 91 performance tune I can average mid 16s driving like an ahole. That's hammering down all the time and Passing lots of people on the interstate! I love my truck. I just wish the tow rating was higher. All that power and tow rated for only 6800lbs sucks! I recommend the programmer. Once you feel the 40+hp,40+tq you won't go back. Especially with an increase in fuel economy.
Same here for gas mileage. We had two days last week of mid-to-high sixties and I actually saw the EVIC reading 20 MPG for a while. Finished the tank at 18.1.

With a tow rating of 6800 lbs., you must have a 4x4 with 3.55 gears. Mines a 2WD with the 3.92 gearset and the tow rating is 10,400.

Bests,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 101,000 miles.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by NV290
My 11' is mechanically stock and the majority of my driving is highway. I run 89 octane and the best MPG i can get (using the trucks data display) is 14.5 MPG. Never higher. I have reset it each time for three tank fulls of fuel so far.

I drive typically 75 on the highway (posted speed is 65) and never drive aggressively from a start.
I suspect you have lots differant gears than my 2012 5.7 two wheel drive. Mine has 3.55's which I didn't want but now that I have them I love them. 20"wheels. I get LOTS better mileage than that. The tank Im on now (1/4 tank left) was almost exclusively around town, door to door doing pest and termits e work is on 16.8. Again thats in town, LOTS of stop and go. Highway I drive 75-80+ and can count on 18-21. This is on 87 octane. Ive tried 89, 92 and ethanol free, I see no differance.

Quick Reply: Official MPG 4th Gen Thread