4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Lifetime Warranty Questions for 09 Guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 06:33 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lifetime Warranty Questions for 09 Guys

My 09 1500 Hemi has almost 200K miles. Its losing a small amount of oil past the valve seals when it sits for a few days. I am wondering how this lifetime powertrain warranty is going to play out for long term owners like me. What constitutes a reman engine or tranny need? When is my engine worn out of service limits? How much oil consumption is too much?

Has anyone had any experience with Dodge on the life span issues that all of us will be facing if we continue to operate these trucks into the future?

The following users liked this post:
qicvick (02-16-2023)
Old 04-30-2021, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Those would be questions to ask the dealer where you have it serviced.... Also, I believe you are required to have an inspection every 5 years to maintain the warranty.

As a guess though, if one of the engine specs goes out of range, (low compression, etc.) that would merit rebuild/replacement. For the trans, if it is still shifting properly, then no replacement.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

I did ask my service writer and he had no idea. They haven't had anyone with that many miles in a warranty situation. I was hoping someone on this forum had an 09 with high mileage that could share some insight. I have had my two 5 year inspections to date.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Call FCA customer service. (though, they changed names, again.... Stallantis? Or something like that.) Number should be on their website.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:11 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Well, I have the answer to my original question..................
I have 210,000 miles on my 09 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi.
My low oil pressure code would come on after about 3500 miles following an oil change. I change the oil every 5K miles and the light would go off on its own only to return as the viscosity broke down. I only use top shelf group III or better synthetics. I developed a ticking noise that was determined to be one of the MDS lifters that had failed and ruined the cam.

The dealer was going to replace the lifters and the cam, but I told them that we need to find out why I am getting low oil pressure. At first, they told me that it was the sending unit. I told them that I had replaced it already and it did not solve the problem. I also referred them to the various articles on Chrysler's approach of a software change for the sensor as the engine wore in or out as I see it. Metal debris was found in the oil control valve and it was determined that a new long block was the best approach.

The new engine was installed yesterday at no cost to me since I am the original owner of this 2009 model with lifetime powertrain warranty. I have a complete log of all work done since new, but I was never asked to produce any proof that required maintenance was done. I was treated with total respect and never did Chrysler or the dealership try to avoid the repair or pass fault to me. They took care of my truck and me without question. Thank you to the service dept at Moritz Chrysler in Fort Worth, TX.

The following users liked this post:
qicvick (02-16-2023)
Old 08-12-2022, 02:16 PM
1RamRunner
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have an '09 with lifetime power train warranty, but with only 33,000 miles. I just got a CEL which shows code P3401. The problem with this is that it involves the solenoid below the manifold. I'm sure it's expensive to replace. Any idea if this would be covered under the lifetime power train warranty.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

A 13 year old truck with only 33K miles??? Wow.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:03 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1RamRunner
I also have an '09 with lifetime power train warranty, but with only 33,000 miles. I just got a CEL which shows code P3401. The problem with this is that it involves the solenoid below the manifold. I'm sure it's expensive to replace. Any idea if this would be covered under the lifetime power train warranty.
It should unless that part is specifically listed as not being covered. The warranty that I am talking about is provided to original owners of 09 models, not an aftermarket warranty.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Warranty Questions for 09 Guys