4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mufflex DOD14M Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Psycareyo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflex DOD14M Review

Had some issues with their online payment system. Called several times. Eventually someone stopped the buck passing and got my order fixed. Got it two days after I paid for it. Shipping was fast.

Just put it on around 5pm today.

For $253, It's nice.

It's not that much better than the OEM from inside the cab. However, from the outside or with the windows down, it's perfect. I find it has very little drone until it goes into MDS.

I wish it sounded better inside the cab but there really isn't a way to make that happen.

No, I don't want to cut of my tailpipe resonators.

Last edited by Psycareyo; 06-15-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 PM
mikeb316

psycareyo,
what about it exactly don't you like? I have heard other ram hemis with a 14 in magnaflow exhaust and it is a lot louder than my stock exhaust. What other brand of mufflers would you suggest looking into?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Psycareyo
Rookie

My wife says it sounds much better than OEM from outside the cab.

That's nice but it doesn't do much for me since I'm never watching someone drive my truck away lol.

I had the same Magnaflow muffler on a 4.6L V8 Sport Trac and it sounded much much better.

I think, for me, it will come down to the resonator removal. Typically, resonators change the sound more than the muffler itself with todays modern engines/exhausts. I discovered this on both my F150 and the Sport Trac. I had swapped out the F150's muffler with a Flowmaster 40 and it didn't change the sound much. I did the same with the Sport Trac. I went back to my local Midas and they removed the resononators and it was night and day different.

On the Fords, the resonator was actually before the muffler. Were as the Dodge has two of them after the muffler, in each tail pipe.

I think I'd be a lot happier with them removed. It just sucks to pay another $150 for further exhaust mods.

I'm going to give it another 28 days and see how it adjusts and how I adjust.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Psycareyo
Rookie

I also looked at Flowmaster (and Flowmaster 40 knock offs), Aeroturbine, Borla, and Gibson.

I was very tempted to go with the Flowmaster 40 since my last 4 trucks have been Magnaflow. From what I understand, it's also a little louder than the 14" Magnaflow.

I also really liked the Aeroturbine. I could find enough testomonials online to make the leap though.

I went with Mufflex for the following reasons:
Past experiance with Magnaflow
Ease of DIY install (it was really easy)
Price of the unit

Last edited by Psycareyo; 06-15-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you want it loud inside the truck then you will either have to install an exhaust cutout below the cab or peel some of carpet out to remove the sound deadening material.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Psycareyo
Rookie

I had a DMH Electric cutout in my Adrenalin Sport Trac. It was loud but it also sounded like crap. In my opinion, all open exhausts sound like crap.

This morning everyone here at the dealership (I sell Kia, Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler) said it sounded absolutely awesome and one person used the word "evil."

I just can't hear that big a difference in the cab. That is because the Ram has superb sound deadening. That's also why the OEM audio systems sounds so good right out of the box.

I guess my initial review was a little harsh.

I may still remove the resonators.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM
WHaLLeYDeeZ

is it much louder then the DOD18M in person?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Psycareyo
Rookie

Never heard the DOD18M so I couldn't comment on that. I usually go with 14" Magnaflow weld in mufflers w/ resonator deletes. It sounds louder on the Sport Ram with dual exhaust.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
NFARCH

Man I have the DOD24M version and I find it plenty loud. I guess it's just all personal preference. Even my wife who knows nothing about trucks loves the sound lol

Old 06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
WHaLLeYDeeZ

Hmm. I have a '10 sport, waiting on my dod18m from mufflex. shipping to canada takes so long. i guess you would recommend welding it so it doesnt leak?

Quick Reply: Mufflex DOD14M Review