4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fuel economy difference between Ram 2500 Hemi and Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM
evan4434
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because they are cheap. The sticker don't mean anything you can get a Dodge for a lot less then a Chevy or a Ford. I am a big cummins fan as well, and have owned 5 of them. The 6.7 is junk I have only owned one and will never own another one again. I have heard from a lot of people now that the duramax is the best diesel truck on the market in stock form. A friend of mine who also has owned several Dodge cummins trucks and still has a 5.9 is a fire fighter. All there smaller trucks are now Chevy Duramax's, and they have had zero issues with them and he says they have a ton of power to boot. He is comparing that to his 2001 Dodge cummins 5.9 with an edge chip.

If I was looking at a new diesel I would look at a Chevy duramax again. I owned a 2005 duramax and had a lot of issues with it, and I only kept it for 6 months. I have been told that anything over 2006 is really good with the Chevy's. With Dodge it is the other way around anything older then 2007 is good.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

There are plenty of Duramaxes that pull hotshot. Just open your eyes...

If you pull slot, the 6.7 Cummins seems to work just fine. Not pulling anything they have issues. Once you fully delete a 6.7 they are just fine and perfectly reliable. But stock they leave much to be desired.

And the Duramax will out-tow a Cummins any day of the week. They are stout

Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mikenh82
So for $17000 less than what a cummins would be he's fine with crap mileage while towing, and he has a cool rig that not too many people have!
That's EXACTLY why I drive a 1500 gasser today. I've had a diesel truck, went to get me a new one in '04. The 2500 QC 4x4 diesel I looked at "stickered" for $9000 more than the 1500 Hemi Larami 4x4 QC sitting right next to it on the lot. NO BIGGIE, easily worth $9000 more for a CTD.

BUT at the time NO dealer would come off list on the diesels in my area, as a matter of fact, it was tough to get them to take off the $2500 "fair market value" markup the second sticker right next to the real sticker had on it. Dealer was willing to take $6000 grand off the Hemi 1500 on the spot!
So now we are talking $14,000 more for the diesel. Couple that with a $1500 factory rebate on 1500 trucks and another $1500 for financing with Chrysler that WAS NOT available on 2500 trucks (Hemi or CTD) and I was at $17,000 difference - for a truck with a MSRP of only $9000 more!!!!

I had just "retired" from tournament bass fishing, so I was looking at about 8k miles a year on the thing and the heaviest thing I towed was the 2600 lb. bass boat/motor/trailer. I just couldn't justify the $17,000 just for the sake of having another diesel.

Turns out, I bought a four year old '02 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 the following year as a daily driver for $11,250. So here I had a NEW truck, a very plush and capable daily driver and still had almost $6000 grand in my pocket!

Tough to justify a diesel at that kinda cost difference unless you haul HEAVY or rack up miles on the thing...

Old 10-10-2011, 04:44 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

My eyes are OPEN and have been for years. Got a retired buddy that hauls horses for a part time living. Has driven four Dodge diesels since 2002 hauling. Puts about 200k on them then replaces. He and I have discussed this before. His eyes are open also. He has commented numerous times that he dosen't see many Duramaxes out there. He dissenting any haulers running them. up until a year or so back I use to read the Ford and Duramax sites. They got a lot more hard failures then Dodge/Cummins does. Lots more. Useless things have changed in the last 18 months. How many flat bed car haulers that are Duramaxes? I've been blind to them also I guess. That matrkets has been Fjords. Today I saw a NEW Dodge 450 flat bed with a wrecked car up on it. First one of those I have seen.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:05 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

wheres the moderator??? this is my first time back on here in a while, and seriously, wtf is with everyone? the guy asked the mpg. we have people chiming in with their 3rd gens, their this, their that. if you dont own a 4th gen 2500, you shouldnt even be talking.

my 2010 2500 gets $h!t gas mileage. usually 15/16 hwy and then city is anyones guess.

If I had the money when I bought my truck, I would have spent the extra on the cummins, but 10 grand was not available, ha. But you can find some decent deals. One guy I ran into said he was getting 18 city and 22 hwy with his cummins.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Threads have a way of getting hijacked. But any can add anything to any thread. It happens on forum after forum.. Plus us guys have a tendency to do such. Tho I will admit sometimes its rude. I apologise for my part of such. I'm sure I'll do it again in the future as most of us will. We are still discussing DODGE/CHRYSLER vehicles for the most part. The "seriously what the xxx" you added to me needs a moderator a lot quicker then us,me for anyone hijacking a thread discussing fuel mileage,product and the competitions vehicles. Duramaxes are a comfy nice riding diesel.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

simple threads= simple answers, ridiculous threads= ridiculous answers.

mpg of A, mpg of B

Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by mdram43
wheres the moderator??? this is my first time back on here in a while, and seriously, wtf is with everyone? the guy asked the mpg. we have people chiming in with their 3rd gens, their this, their that. if you dont own a 4th gen 2500, you shouldnt even be talking.
Well, not everyone can afford a brand new truck. Sorry if that pisses you off, but I'll damn sure put my two cents in. I could drive a Yugo; doesn't mean I'm not VERY familiar with the latest and greatest from Ma Mopar. I've yet to be on a dealer lot and not taught a thing or three to the salesmen on the products they sell...

Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 AM
09RuffRam
Veteran

the last week i have been trying somewhat to drive the 2500 hemi ('10) a little nicer and see what kind of milage i could get...i averaged between 26-38 L/100 kms. 26 hwy and 38 combined. still better then our super duty f series in the fleet. its 37L /100kms no matter what.

the problems that we have had in our dodges are our front ends, axles, brakes etc. dont know all the bad components that fail but i was talking to the guy who signs the checks for all the repairs at the shops and before 20000kms hes writing 12-15k dollar checks to get them back on the road. they are switching back to fords cause even tho they are gutless they seem to stay out of the shop.
I am a dodge guy, yes my next truck would be a duramax, just wish dodge still had the 5.9L or even the old 12/24valve and then i probably would stick with dodge.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
Well, not everyone can afford a brand new truck. Sorry if that pisses you off, but I'll damn sure put my two cents in. I could drive a Yugo; doesn't mean I'm not VERY familiar with the latest and greatest from Ma Mopar. I've yet to be on a dealer lot and not taught a thing or three to the salesmen on the products they sell...

well if you dont own one, how are you going to put your two cents in? once again, the guy asked 4th gen ram 2500 hemi (that would be the A I was referring to), 4th gen ram 2500 cummins (that would be B). so 2nd gen, 3rd gen is gonna be completely different than a 4th gen as plenty has changed. you dont see me bringing up a 48 power wagon or anything like that.

I just dont get why threads with simple questions always go way off topic, then the original poster of the thread never gets any help or a straight answer to the question he asked in the first place. That's all I am saying. I am not trying to insult anyone, or say anyones opinions are stupid, or anything of the sort. All I'm saying is the guy asked a really, really, simple question, and from the replies that I actually have read, are no where even near the answers he's looking for. I'm sure threads like this discourage many a person from ever asking anything.

also to Ed, the original poster, you may want to ask this same question on ramforumz, there seems to be a few more 2500's lurking around on there

Last edited by mdram43; 10-11-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel economy difference between Ram 2500 Hemi and Cummins?