4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

4" Rough Country Lift w 35's - Any last words?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:18 PM
MattsMountain
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Rough Country Lift w 35's - Any last words?

After paralysis by analysis, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 4" Rough Country suspension lift and 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers on stock rims. I believe I have a solid price on the whole thing and just wanted any last words of wisdom. It's my daily driver, but I need a little more clearance and some better tires to get me up and down the mountain.
Those that have a Rough Country lift, are you happy with it? Problems/issues? What would you do differently? Feedback on the tires? I hear it's not necessarily the 'best' lift, but for the money and my needs, it should more than do the trick.

I've been through a lot of the other threads and gotten great info - guess I'm just looking for the green like from you all, before I get the red light from my old lady (which I will then run and be ticketed for later!).

Much appreciated!!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a RC lift on my third gen, and I've seen them put on other rigs..

the only question of quality comes in with the springs.. they are known to collapse more than usual given enough time..

the rest of the lift is very well made quality wise.. the real advantage to the more expensive lifts is fitment issues.. with the RC's, you sometimes have to push and pry to get them together, with the high end ones they generally bolt right up..

as far as off-roading, they are more than serviceable so long as that isn't your primary purpose for having a lift.. if you are aiming for appearances, I figure your fine.. I'm guessing your not going to abuse an '09 just yet, so I'd assume you'll be happy with the lift..

their shocks suck.. you can easily make an improvement on that.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The rough county kit is a decent, low cost kit. I have no first hand experience with their coil over kits but do with their torsion front IFS 4x4 kits, so I can't speak for their coil strength like Drew can.

It was one of the ones I looked at when I did mine, but opted for the Rancho kit instead, but the cost difference was considerable. The Rancho had a complete sub-frame and replaced a LOT of parts with larger, beefier ones than stock where the RC and many others retained stock parts (I'm sure to keep cost low).

For looks and mostly street with very mild off-roading, I'm sure this kit will be fine.

As far as the shocks go, they are Tenneco shocks. Tenneco owns both Rancho and Monroe. Most generic, white tubed shocks sold by lift companies with a sticker on them of their name/logo are Tenneco shocks. But like any other company, they do have bargain basement parts offered to meet a price point. The ones offered by RC (the hydro 8000 and nitro 9000) are the same shocks that Pro Comp sells as the ES3000 and ES9000, Skyjacker also offers them with their name/model number on them. The Pro Comps sell for about $30 a shock and for that price are decent, but there are a LOT of better shocks out there...

Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM
MattsMountain
Professional

Thanks for the feedback gang. I really do appreciate it. I think I'll go with it and know I'll need to do shocks at some point. She'll be on the street mostly, but I will be up and down some logging roads come hunting season. Nothing too drastic though, so sounds like this will be ok.

I'll do another once-over on the other brands. Sounds like this gets me in the game without breaking the bank. Much appreciated!!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM
MattsMountain
Professional

Thanks again gang. I made the appointment yesterday and will have it done and in 2 weeks. Went with the RC 4" suspension and 35" Terra Grapplers on my stock rims. Figure this will get me started and I can tweak and add as needed.

I appreciate the honesty and feedback - really helped me out.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my buddy and I at the boggs.. mine is the third gen, his is the fourth..

he has a procomp 6".. it was the only one available when he got his rig..

he just replaced the tie rods.. the OE ones suck, and apparently they are having issues with them- especially on lifted trucks.. He went with a Moog, and hopefully doesn't have issues again..

just thought I'd share that about the rods..

Quick Reply: 4" Rough Country Lift w 35's - Any last words?