4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Remote Start Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colindoling
I have a 2012 1500 ST and I'm up in northern AB and its 12 below 0 here now in oct so I'm now thinking I should have order a truck rather the getting one off the lot cuz I now want to have remote start.. Idk if I can put it cuz I do not have power locks or windows (another regret) no one at dodge dealers seem to be able to answer any of my questions can anyone help
You can get many aftermarket starters that do not require power doors/windows. You would just have to bypass (jumper out) a few inputs/outputs. Most starters go through a series of "tests" before the motor starts, all of which are just safety. Things like, it locks the doors before the motor starts, some require that the hood be closed before starting. Then you also have the sensor for manual transmissions. There are lots of different ways to wire aftermarket starters. Depending on the maker of the unit, it might also be necessary to have a module that is designed to work along side your truck. But I would think just by the year of your truck its gonna need one. Everything is controlled via ECU now. That would be something that you would have to confirm with the maker of the starter.

That being said, I don't know what entails hooking up starters on the new 4th gen rams. I put whats called drone in my old 07, mind you it was easy because I already had factory remote start. So it was just plugging into the main harness. But installing it without a factory starter just takes a little more time. You would have to crimp and splice into each necessary wire. As far as the 2012s go, I don't know the hookups for sure. But I imagine they are not too much different.

What I do know for sure, is I would not do it myself. The electronics (even without all the fancy locks and windows) are VERY PARTICULAR about what is run off of them. I know that if you ever want to pull power from a switch or something, your gonna have to run it via a relay. If you pull it directly, your gonna blow something up.
With your truck still being on warranty, I would not even think about splicing in wires. Let an authorized installer do it, that way if something gets screwed up, its the companies fault and damages should be paid. Make sure that's in writing too. The thing your gonna run into is finding an authorized installer that will do it. Many don't even look at them unless its out of warranty, at least thats the way its done here.

To answer your question LU, I have seen many, and helped out on many starter units. Of all the starters that I have helped install, which is 100s. I have maybe seen 3 or 4 come back not working. All of those where just because we didn't flash/use the correct module to the vehicle. So the starter would work, but things like the lock/unlock would be jittery.

Some people have too many issues with "aftermarket" starters. But I guarantee that over 90% are done at electronic shops(futureshop, bestbuy, visions), where the installers are just trained to hook up red to red and black to black. The installer I help out went to school to do what he does, and needs to in order to work on the equipment. Those electronic stores work similar, but the store itself only needs to have one qualified guy. Which honestly do you think he is ever there? Not saying that every store is like this, but it takes a higher trained guy to make negative triggers to work, and to figure something out thats not in the books.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 PM
HEMI TRX4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the remote start on my trx4 and the distance goes out pretty far. But the only complaint i have is that on occasion it will start to mess up and not function properly. Iv heard of similar complaints on this forum bout the remote not functioning. Iv had them give me two brand new key fobs and the lock and unlock and automatic windows roll down fine with the new fobs, its usually just the automatic ignition that sometimes take a couple tries but overall i think its still worth it when its really hot outside and u can step into your truck with the ac already on.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM
colindoling

The dball looks like a good plan to me it's Plug n play with a t in for the wiring and thru a xl202 can use a viper 1 button 2 way start which sounds the best for me I just don't know if I can get thos in town here (fort McMurray AB... Middle of no where) or have to order online and wait forever for it to get here

Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by colindoling
The dball looks like a good plan to me it's Plug n play with a t in for the wiring and thru a xl202 can use a viper 1 button 2 way start which sounds the best for me I just don't know if I can get thos in town here (fort McMurray AB... Middle of no where) or have to order online and wait forever for it to get here
I would imagine that you can! BUT I would think its gonna be pricey there. As is everything. Are you on shift? Or is that where you live?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM
colindoling

I'm trying to get on a shift then truck wouldn't be a problem... But it still be nice. I work at fountain tire right now till one of thos oil sand company's calls me.. But I have a cold drive to work every day the weather keeps getting colder up here. It's looking like I might have to order online seeing how I can't find a dealer of them up here anywheres

Old 11-07-2015, 11:56 AM
creszka77
Default kit

Originally Posted by Capn Preshoot
Which is precisely why I ordered the Remote Start KIT for my 2010. - I already had the remote start feature but needed 2 addt'l FOBs. When the svc mgr finally understood what I wanted, he commented "what an ingenious idea". The FOBIKs by themselves would have been $190 each + $50 programming charge (total for both) + another $56 for the 2 door/tailgate keys ($526.95 total with tax). The KIT was only $228 (+ tax)

Since I still had to have the 2 addt'l door keys and still got socked with the programming charge, my total drive-out cost going with the KIT was $357. ($170 cheaper than buying just the 2 FOBIKs)

KUDOs to IronHead for the original suggestion!!

Now then, does anyone have any use for the rest of the kit? It's all there but the FOBIKs. (new WIN ignition switch module, new hood latch w/electric interlock, remote start antenna, wiring harness, 10 zip ties, printed instructions & the box it all came in). I'd make someone a hellouva deal on it.

Do you still have the kit for sale I am interested in it

Old 11-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LU229
I absolutely agree 200%...! NEVER cut OR splice into any wiring harness..!!! Thats just begging for trouble...PERIOD
Factory remote start + PLUG-N-PLAY = PRICELESS
Not all aftermarket starts require splicing, Ive install a aftermarket on in my work Van (Caravan) you press Lock 3 times to start.

You install a T-Harness at the ignition, This provides the Comms and power to the unit. Minor programming to enroll fobs and the unit to the vehicle as a bypass (mimics a fob) No issues what so ever with it. It also only cost me around $150cad. Its super programmable, with a harness change it can be used on hundreds of vehicles.

It can also be programmed for Gas or Diesel, Delayed starts, Run times, and lots of other stuff.

FORTIN EVO-ALL Universal all-in-one data bypass and interface module

This kit works on Every ram 1500-4500 model, Tip-Start, Push-Start, Gas or Diesel
http://fortin.ca/en/products/evo-combos/evo-chrt6/

Ive looked at the OEM remote start for my Ram, Dealer cost was higher compared to what ive seen you guys state, around $700(Canadian) Came with 2 new Fobs, Programmed and Installed. 1 New Fob is around $260 alone here.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Options