4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ram vs GC

Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
4.6Stang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram vs GC

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this forum and just have one "problem". First off I'm sorry if this is vague/off topic but like i said I'm new here. So i currently have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and am lookin to replace it with something more "upscale" and the two options are the new GC or the Ram. At first I was dead set on the GC because my wife got the new Durango last summer and I love everything about it. My only reservation is that i like having a truck and the flexibility to haul around various yard work supplies and other things. By the way the Jeep would be an overland with the HEMI and 4x4. The Ram would be a laramie longhorn with 4x4. So my question to you guys is: what are the stand-out reasons to choose the Ram over the Jeep beside from suv vs. truck. Also i drive 80% highway.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM
kpevin
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont need the rear legroom the GC is a great SUV, a 1500 crew cab has a lot of room in the back. The GC 'feels quite a bit smaller in the front seat as well.

Myself I look at the 1/2 ton short bed crew cab pickups as more of a full size SUV, but you dont have to see/hear or smell the stuff you haul in the back

Of course the Ram may not fit in your garage and isnt as easy as easy to park in crowded lots.

I was going to trade the wife's 2010 Hemi Commander for a 2012 Hemi GC so I spent a lot of time looking at them (ended up keeping the Commander for another year or two). For me and where I drive/park and having to haul yard stuff, dirt, fuel, car batteries etc and not have the cargo inside with me the Ram wins. Plus I have 2 kids going on teenagers and the extra rear seat room is a plus.

The new GC is pretty nice, but I always like to have at least one pickup around.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ram or GC Hmmm.... Do what I did and get both - then mod the hell out of 'em... LOL...

Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.6Stang
Hey Guys,
I'm new to this forum and just have one "problem". First off I'm sorry if this is vague/off topic but like i said I'm new here. So i currently have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and am lookin to replace it with something more "upscale" and the two options are the new GC or the Ram. At first I was dead set on the GC because my wife got the new Durango last summer and I love everything about it. My only reservation is that i like having a truck and the flexibility to haul around various yard work supplies and other things. By the way the Jeep would be an overland with the HEMI and 4x4. The Ram would be a laramie longhorn with 4x4. So my question to you guys is: what are the stand-out reasons to choose the Ram over the Jeep beside from suv vs. truck. Also i drive 80% highway.
Thanks in advance
Stang,

Normally I would say get the truck since I am a truck guy myself, but when it comes to the GC Overland I would choose that even if I had to get a small utility trailer for a quad or for hauling other stuff. I drove the Overland for a week last year and it is the nicest vehicle I have ever driven. I don't know how much off-roading you do, but if you do any you will not be disappointed.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
oldjeep
Champion

If you need to tow I'd say the RAM - unibody IRS SUVs suck for towing just about anything. If you need someone over 5ft 9 to sit in the back seat then I'd say the ram.

If neither of those apply I'd take the GC - easier to park and easier for short people to get into

Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
pdavis53
All Star

About the only similarity between these two vehicles is the Hemi badge on the side. I have a 2010 Ram Big Horn with the hemi and my wife drives a 2007 Jeep Commander with the Hemi. Two totally different vehicles. First my truck gets better mpg's then the Jeep does and that goes for city and higway. The Jeep rides a whole lot better and is what we use most of the time when we travel, we have used the truck for he better mpg's but the jeep does ride better. If you are over or around 6 foot there is not a lot of room in the Commander's or GC's. It is really what you want to drive, when you pass your buddies on the road do you want them to see you in a truck or a Jeep? Do you need the truck bed or will a trailer work better for you? These are the things that only you can answer. Either way you will be happy as the Hemi really kicks butt and is a lot of fun to drive.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
huntergreen
Professional

we bought an 04 gc new, and have had dodge rams, the grand with quadra drive is far more capable in any road, on or off, condition you throw at it. however, the grand is pretty useless at home depot, lowes and for carrying anything of size and weight. if you haven't had a truck, you won't miss it, if you have a truck now, you will be sorry when you don't.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
If you need to tow I'd say the RAM - unibody IRS SUVs suck for towing just about anything. If you need someone over 5ft 9 to sit in the back seat then I'd say the ram.

If neither of those apply I'd take the GC - easier to park and easier for short people to get into
I gotta agree, unibody vehicles DO NOT make good tow vehicles, despite what the tow rating may be...

Originally Posted by huntergreen
we bought an 04 gc new, and have had dodge rams, the grand with quadra drive is far more capable in any road, on or off, condition you throw at it. however, the grand is pretty useless at home depot, lowes and for carrying anything of size and weight. if you haven't had a truck, you won't miss it, if you have a truck now, you will be sorry when you don't.
Also gotta agree, my '02 Overland with it's SFA, Quadra-drive and Vari-Loks in both axles will outperform my truck in just about any off-road situation, despite the fact my truck has WAY more aggressive tires. Only place the truck has an advantage is with ground clearance, although my Jeep isn't too shabby in that department since I lifted it 3"...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-21-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
4.6Stang

For towing, the GC would do just fine because i can't imagine ever towing over 5000 pounds. The part of the truck i need most is the payload because i haul yerd things and supplies and other various items some weighing close to 1000 pounds. As for off-roading the most i do is the occasional muddy back road and because i live in the northeast, some snow. And room is not an issue as our family members aren't big.
Thanks again

Search this Thread