Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 4th Gen Ram Tech > 4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

8 speed automatic

Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 8 speed automatic

I went to my dealer last night and we did a build on a new Laramie I am thinking of ordering. Dealer said he can only get the new 8 speed to go into the build sheet. I only have until wednesday to decide wether to order the truck or not according to him.
My problem is I don't know anyone who has this tranny and can't find what I want on the lot anywhere with the 6 speed. I am a little concerned about durability of the new 8 speed and would like input from someone who has it in their pickup. My dealer said they have had them in some cars for a few years with no problems, but that is not using it for towing either.

Thanks
Mark
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Professional
2014 Dodge Dart
My Garage

Vehicle: 1993 Dodge Ram D150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark64 View Post
I went to my dealer last night and we did a build on a new Laramie I am thinking of ordering. Dealer said he can only get the new 8 speed to go into the build sheet. I only have until wednesday to decide wether to order the truck or not according to him.
My problem is I don't know anyone who has this tranny and can't find what I want on the lot anywhere with the 6 speed. I am a little concerned about durability of the new 8 speed and would like input from someone who has it in their pickup. My dealer said they have had them in some cars for a few years with no problems, but that is not using it for towing either.

Thanks
Mark
Try the 300/Charger forums; they've been using the 845RE since 2011. The only problem is, they're backed by the Pentastar V6, and not the Hemi.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

The 8 speed is the only option with the Hemi in a 1500 Laramie at this time. If you are looking for towing and reliability feedback it may be tough as this is the first year Ram has put this behind the Hemi. Feedback can be obtained as stated above from other forums but this would be of the 3.6 variety that has been in limited vehicles that are really used for towing.

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to pass on ordering the hemi with the 8 speed. I'll keep looking for something on the dealer lot with the proven 6 speed auto.

Mark
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 09 Laramie CC 4x4 Loaded,Hemi Valant CAI, Vents Body Mouldings Mud flaps, Rhino Rear Bumper Guard .

Don't sell the 8 speed short , Dodge backs it with a warranty , there have been enough of them sold by now that if they were problematic it would have been posted on this or another forum.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Garage is empty, add now

My dealer located a truck very close to what I wanted to order on another dealers lot with the 6 speed transmission. I try to never buy something in it's first year of production and didn't want to take the chance on the 8 speed.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Mark
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Congrats!!!

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 PM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

It should be a warranty on it anyways so it probably won't be a problem if it doesn't work out but I'd say go for it
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Edition
D0dgeRam1500 D0dgeIntrepidRT

The 8 speed is stronger. The 6 speed's maximum torque rating is 410 ft-lbs. The 8 speed's maximum torque rating is 516 ft-lbs.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM