4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fuel tank switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Pull Ya
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank switch

Has anyone switched out the standard fuel tank and replaced it with a 32 gallon tank. I have a 2013 1500 crew cab I'd like to put a 32 gallon tank in.
Thanks,
Jay

Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

i don't know what the new fuel pumps look like but the pickup would still have to reach the bottom. is the tank deeper?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Others here have done it. You will need to get some programming done as well if you want your DTE, ect to read correctly in the EVIC.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

If I measured correctly the new tank is not any deeper I think it is just longer, but I think the float level might have to be checked. From what I understand from Dodge mechanics and the parts guys it should be just "plug and play"(which it never turns out that way) We'll see
Thanks,
Jay

Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you do it, read this thread. This is what you are up against.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...-question.html

I don't know if this guy resolved his issue. You may want to PM him about getting the gauge and DTE evic readout calibrated.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

I found out today that the 26 gallon and the 32 gallon tank use the same Module Fuel Pump. The only changes in the setting are done with software and the dealers do not have access to that particular software. I really don't care about the accuracy of the DTE but I am concerned about the fuel gauge not being accurate. Maybe I'll put the tank in with velcro so if I have to take it out and put it back in a couple of times it won't be such a pain in the ***.
Pedro--I talked to the OP and he said he still does not have a resolution to his problems. Thanks for the link!
Jay

Last edited by Pull Ya; 08-17-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

Completed the switch to a 32 gallon tank. The 32 gallon tanks from 09 through 13 are the same although the part number changed in 13. The Module

Fuel

Pump is the same for the 26 gallon and the 32 gallon and all the straps etc are the same--basically plug and play. The gauge seems to be accurate so far. The DTE seems to be a little off right after you fill the tank but it becomes more accurate after you drive about 50 miles??????I don't know why. The dealer does not have access to any computer software to change the computer from a 26 gallon tank to a 32 gallon tank.

Cost--If you buy a new 32 gallon tank they sell for about $690(list price is over $900). If you buy one from a wrecking yard they cost about $300-$350. Dealer install is around $100 bucks or you can do it yourself. If you change it yourself, the least amount of gas in the tank the better. Takes about 2 hours to change it out.
Jay

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Fuel tank switch