4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Radio upgrade to Kenwood Nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this today. Installed a Kenwood DNX891HD in my 2011 Ram. Guess I should update my signature.

Had to cut the metal support at the top, like just about everyone else has. Also had to bend the metal support at the bottom, so the back of the stereo would go down far enough that the front could come up to clear the dash when changing angles/ejecting/opening all the way up. I trimmed off part of the plastic opening at the top, but after bending the bottom support down, not sure that it was necessary. Can't see any of the cuts either way it goes. Cut the plastic with a pocket knife. Don't have pictures right now, I forgot to take any when I was doing the install. I ran the GPS receiver through the dash to the drivers side, and mounted it in the middle of the dash. Just pushed the wire down between the windshield and the dash, can't tell it's there. I took the pillar off and ran the microphone to the overhead console, hiding the wiring inside the head liner and the a pillar.

As far as the harness goes, I used the C2R-CHY4. I don't have a factory amp, but I connected the white/blue wire from the pac harness to the wire coming from my subs amp, and then connected that to the remote turn on from the head unit, just to be on the safe side. If you use this harness, make sure you wire up the right plug. I know, because I assumed the plug was the same as what I used in my 2006. It's not. Your best bet is to pull the dash off really quick and make sure you know which one you need to use. Otherwise you'll be stripping and connecting wires again. I've got the dash removal process down to about 15 seconds with a cordless drill, haha. Once you have the right plug, the wiring process is a lot less complicated.

Otherwise, I didn't have any issues with the installation, just fitment and figuring out the wiring harness issues, specifically how to connect the remote turn on wire to my aftermarket amplifier. Everything works as it should, no hiccups. EVIC just says Radio on, instead of displaying a radio station with factory radio, but that's not a big deal to me. The one thing I do wish it did was not restart the radio when you go from acc on to starting the truck. My 2006 with same unit and different PAC harness wouldn't restart the truck. It had a delay or something, where it powered the unit for a few seconds after you turned the key off, which was handy especially when you're watching a movie, and it gets time for a little A/C.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:38 PM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
For the guys that installed a radio with navigation, where did you end up putting your GPS receiver? On my 06 there was a place in the center of the dash that could be used. Trying to get an idea before I install my stereo in my new truck this weekend.
If by receiver you mean antenna, mine is underneath the dash, right behind the radio somewhere with all the wires. So far I haven't had any issues at all as far as reception goes, I always have full bars on my gps.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:41 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

I did. I ended up mounting mine on top of the dash near the light sensor for the headlights. I wanted to keep it centered on the vehicle but I may move it more over on the drivers side away from the defrost vents.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran
Talking Kenwood

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
I just did this today. Installed a Kenwood DNX891HD in my 2011 Ram. Guess I should update my signature.

Had to cut the metal support at the top, like just about everyone else has. Also had to bend the metal support at the bottom, so the back of the stereo would go down far enough that the front could come up to clear the dash when changing angles/ejecting/opening all the way up. I trimmed off part of the plastic opening at the top, but after bending the bottom support down, not sure that it was necessary. Can't see any of the cuts either way it goes. Cut the plastic with a pocket knife. Don't have pictures right now, I forgot to take any when I was doing the install. I ran the GPS receiver through the dash to the drivers side, and mounted it in the middle of the dash. Just pushed the wire down between the windshield and the dash, can't tell it's there. I took the pillar off and ran the microphone to the overhead console, hiding the wiring inside the head liner and the a pillar.

As far as the harness goes, I used the C2R-CHY4. I don't have a factory amp, but I connected the white/blue wire from the pac harness to the wire coming from my subs amp, and then connected that to the remote turn on from the head unit, just to be on the safe side. If you use this harness, make sure you wire up the right plug. I know, because I assumed the plug was the same as what I used in my 2006. It's not. Your best bet is to pull the dash off really quick and make sure you know which one you need to use. Otherwise you'll be stripping and connecting wires again. I've got the dash removal process down to about 15 seconds with a cordless drill, haha. Once you have the right plug, the wiring process is a lot less complicated.

Otherwise, I didn't have any issues with the installation, just fitment and figuring out the wiring harness issues, specifically how to connect the remote turn on wire to my aftermarket amplifier. Everything works as it should, no hiccups. EVIC just says Radio on, instead of displaying a radio station with factory radio, but that's not a big deal to me. The one thing I do wish it did was not restart the radio when you go from acc on to starting the truck. My 2006 with same unit and different PAC harness wouldn't restart the truck. It had a delay or something, where it powered the unit for a few seconds after you turned the key off, which was handy especially when you're watching a movie, and it gets time for a little A/C.

Today, Sunday, I was able to chat with a Crutchfield rep regarding a Kenwood DNX571HD system. We were having a really good time until I asked about the factory installed Satellite system and he told me that per Sirius, some factory antennas may not work with the aftermarket.

Guess I wanted to know if you have a factory SAT and if so, did you use an aftermarket antenna?

The systems that I am looking at has all the bells and whistles but the SAT issue is a major sticking point. Why can't it be so simple?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:19 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

I don't have sat radio, haven't had a need for it, I guess. Ive used Pandora for custom radio stations for a long time, and the kenwood unit I have had a Pandora app on it. Anyway, you'll need an after market tuner if you want sat radio. The antenna for the factory system has a little yellow plastic plug deal. From what I understand you can pull that off and it should work. Again, I have no direct experience with this, but from the masses of diy writeups I've read, this should be the norm.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:38 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by bluebeast1562
Today, Sunday, I was able to chat with a Crutchfield rep regarding a Kenwood DNX571HD system. We were having a really good time until I asked about the factory installed Satellite system and he told me that per Sirius, some factory antennas may not work with the aftermarket.

Guess I wanted to know if you have a factory SAT and if so, did you use an aftermarket antenna?

The systems that I am looking at has all the bells and whistles but the SAT issue is a major sticking point. Why can't it be so simple?
Mine uses the factory antenna with no issues at all. Just plug it in.

Quick Reply: Radio upgrade to Kenwood Nav unit