4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1st Ram! 1st truck!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Tk Jeeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Ram! 1st truck!

Hi all, as you could tell by the name I'm from a jeep background. Until a week ago.
We just bought a 2011 1500 Laramie, 5.7 hemi of course. I have a work van, so unfortunately this is my wife's dd, however it's a big change from the minivan days!
This thing is loaded, heated ventilated seats, etc, we're in love.
I'm not sure where to begin, I honestly can't think of anything I'd like to add. I've stocked it with some decent tow straps, hitch receiver since I see now tow points (to hook others up to of course!), threw in some weathertech floor mats, and done!
This thing is VERY low on kilometers, 44000 or around 27000 miles.
What are weak areas here guys, what will I be looking to improve in the near future? I am in Canada so winter climate.
Thanks in advance. Tk

Last edited by Tk Jeeper; 12-02-2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 12-01-2015, 09:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Tk Jeeper

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to DF.
Ty sir!

Old 12-02-2015, 02:59 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum! That is really low mileage for a 2011, nice find!

I don't see any tow hooks in the front, that would be a good upgrade. I just used mine this past winter storm (14 inches in town) to pull a minivan out of a snowbank, guy tried to take an on-ramp too quickly for the conditions. The guy was mad at himself, he said his other vehicle was a Jeep Wrangler and he loved driving that in the white stuff, but his wife just HAD to have them go do errands in the minivan.

Depending on how many highway miles you (or your wife) do, you may want to consider an A/T tire or something thats a bit better in snow. The factory tires are good for highway, but bad in anything else. Before I bought my certified-used 2013 a few months ago, the dealer threw on some cheapo Wrangler HP tires (you can see them in my signature picture). I almost got stuck pulling the minivan out just by having only two tires off the road! I found a tire shop that let me "trade in" the four barely used tires for about $200 towards a new set last week.

Last edited by jasonw; 12-02-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Tk Jeeper
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by jasonw
Welcome to the forum! That is really low mileage for a 2011, nice find!

I don't see any tow hooks in the front, that would be a good upgrade. I just used mine this past winter storm (14 inches in town) to pull a minivan out of a snowbank, guy tried to take an on-ramp too quickly for the conditions. The guy was mad at himself, he said his other vehicle was a Jeep Wrangler and he loved driving that in the white stuff, but his wife just HAD to have them go do errands in the minivan.

Depending on how many highway miles you (or your wife) do, you may want to consider an A/T tire or something thats a bit better in snow. The factory tires are good for highway, but bad in anything else. Before I bought my certified-used 2013 a few months ago, the dealer threw on some cheapo Wrangler HP tires. I found a tire shop that let me "trade in" the four barely used tires for about $200 towards a new set.
Thank you sir, it really is a dream find. One owner, old guy retired and traded it and his wife's car in for something. And he was religious about caring for it.
Yes first thing I noticed was no front tow hooks. Actually just picked up a hitch and 2-30', 18000 lb tow straps for just that purpose. I'll have to check bit didn't look too easy to install some front stock looking tow hooks I'm pretty happy with the rubber that's on it and I'm honestly terrified about what those new wranglers will cost me in 20's in the future, what were yours worth? Thanks for the reply

Last edited by Tk Jeeper; 12-02-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 12-02-2015, 04:31 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Tire prices will vary a bit, especially between USA and Canada. My tires ran me $850 before the $200 trade-ins, and are the twenty inch size. The Hankooks ATMs are known to be a really good snow and mild off-road tire that won't break the bank, relatively speaking. If you go with BFG or another "big name" brand, expect their regular prices to be in the $1000+ range, unless you catch a "buy 3 get 1 free" or similar sale.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:09 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Copied a write up over for you, should take care of most of your questions.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...am-1500-a.html

Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome!

Quick Reply: 1st Ram! 1st truck!