4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2008-2011 Dodge 6.7l Diesel Truck class action law suit

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Rudolf_Diesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008-2011 Dodge 6.7l Diesel Truck class action law suit

As the owner of a 2011 Dodge Diesel truck I recently received a letter from a sneaky lawyer offering help going onboard a recently filed class action law suit against Chrysler Group LLC in South Carolina. Lawsuit pertains to the 2500/3500 6.7.l Cummins equipped trucks for engine light issues, loss of power, poor diesel mileage engine running poorly and engine defects.
While I thankfully do not have any major issues (yet), the fuel mileage is on my truck is something that leaves desire for improvement, due to the EGR/DFP BS installed on these engines.
I am nearing 20kmls now on the truck's odometer, so it is about broken in. I have brought it on a regular basis to be serviced at the dealership, where I also inquired about any pending computer upgrades addressing poor fuel mileage that I do experience.
I seem to have everything up to par that should get the best results possible, yet with a mere 16mpg max on a good day down the freeway for hours with wind coming from the back I am still not quite happy, particularly when being at the pump where prices continue to rise, eye-balling $ 5.00/gl. (ouch). The 2006 Cummins that I traded in a year ago got me all the way up to 21mpg on long distance freeway runs. Wish I'd never traded, but love the way the 2011 drives and handles.

I posted another thread here in the past after initially getting the truck about a year ago, trying to find out what I may expect as fuel mileage, since there is such a vast difference between the 5.9l and the 6.7l Cummins, I was assured by many that I should give it time until the engine is broken in around 20kmls. I wonder if it will ever improve and become more and more pessimistic that it will, seeing the law suit being filed.

Has anybody followed that law suit?

I don't mind going piggyback, but not through any stinkin' lawyer.
Would love to get some more info on it. Perhaps that gets Chrysler going to do something about those mileage robbing systems ending up in a recall that could benefit all of us that are blessed with this engine in their truck.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM
337ram
Rookie

No offense but anyone buying a NEW style diesel from any big 3 should be prepared for mpg shock, and it isnt going away anytime soon, your best option IF you can afford to wait for warranty to run out, remove all the BS from the motor and you will gain a couple mpg's. As for who ever told you would get better mpg there probably telling themselves that in hopes of it getting better, and it wont, or not enough to even notice

I traded in my 6.0 for mpg issues, it wasnt the truck it was "me", as in I should of known better going into the truck that 15 mpg wasnt acceptable and bought gas

And the lawsuit should be against the federal gov not dodge, they are not the ones who choose to put all that restrictions on the motor, nor did the other manf's

Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
rally43
Exclamation Class Action Lawsuit Ram 2500 Diesel

Found this forum while searching for other people who are having issues with their Ram Diesel trucks.

I own a 2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel . I bought it last October and noticed by 1,000 my regeneration notice would pop up every 3 days and I would have to drive it and clear it. I thought it was just a fluke but it started to become a hassle every 3 days to drive an additional 15-20 miles out of my way to clear the regen notice. I live only 2-3 miles from work and use the remote start when its cold ( Live in Northern Michigan ) .

So I started taking photos of the dash regen notices with odo in the frame of the picture for records to show service.

Every 3 days or so (unless i had a long trip in between ) The regen would come on. I missed getting up to continuous speed one time and it went into limp mode while I was trying to do a regen.

So into the shop it goes . They have to plug in to the ecu and lower the spare and run it for about an hour while parked away from anything flammable.

Once cleared back to the every 3 days regen. Then at approx 2821 miles the 4wd went inop during a snowstorm. Yep only 2wd on icy snow covered roads.. FUN !

Goes into shop... They inform me that theres an 8 pin connector on the transfer case and only several pins used. On the back of the unused pin connector there is suppose to be a rubber plug. Mine was built with one missing. No huge deal , but was an issue none the less..

Back to driving and doing a regen clearing every few days.. I call Ram customer care.. They say no problem we will adress yoru concerns here is a case number. Im thinking cool they are concerned about me as a customer.. They suggest bringing it back in and they will get engineering involved . I do and they find or say that the truck seems to be operating as normal.

After 3-4 weeks and continuous regen problems, I call back only to find they cleared my case and re issue me a new case #. I re explain the issues and they say we are sending you to " ENHANCED " customer care and assign me Bruce.. Bruce leaves me a message at home to get in contact with him, I try for about a week before he returns my call. He schedules me to bring the truck in and when its here he will get engineering involved again.

( Multiple times during these phone calls to ram customer care they kept saying i should trade it in and see the dealer but they wont help with anything financially )

I drop it off on a Wed. No call from Bruce... Thursday they finally call the dealer and work with engineering. Doug the engineer calls me and says the truck is within operating specs and within federal guidelines.

I ask him if he thinks its reasonable to have to drive 15 miles out of your way every 3 days to clear a regen on your way home from work ? He said " Well its certainly an inconvenience " I then say lets take this calculation out further.. Over 100,000 miles on the truck I have to drive approximately 25,000 miles of that clearing the regen code. He again stated the truck is in operating parameters and tehre is nothing that can be done. Nothing is defective..

I refrain from getting to angry as he didnt design or build the truck but Chrysler / Ram did..

I again ask if he personally thinks its resonable for me to have that fuel expense and loss of miles usage ( 25,000 over 100,000 ) just to clear the regen light. He gets frustrated and blames the dealership for not explaining to me that the truck is not designed for short distances PERIOD ! And that the dealer was suppose to explain this to me. I said Hmmm Really now ? Yes they have special training just for this.. Oh do they now I say ?

I ask him if there should be large decals on the window of every Dodge Ram Diesel telling customers who drive short disntaces NOT TO BUY THIS TRUCK ? His stated " YES THEY SHOULD "

Knowing that we were going to agree on the disagreement I ended the conversation dcumenting everything since 1,00 miles.

Well , I get emailed the ram corporate rep for the area to see if he can help. He forwarded to the Service Rep for Ram who covers the area.. I get a call today and the first word out of her mouth were , I hear you have been emailing everybody about yoru problem and I understand thats nothings wrong so we cant help you . HUH ? and WOW among other thoughts .. Like this is how Ram wants to treat its customers ? Are you kidding me ? I tried explaining my problem and why i think there is something wrong but she said that if engineering said nothings wrong then nothing is wrong.. I said I guess I have no other option but to seek legal action. She said good luck and hung up...

What you guys reading this didnt understand until this moment is I work for a Chrysler / Dodge / Ram dealership. Yep Im the guy that is suppose to bend over backwards for a customer and take care of issues on a daily basis because I want to treat them how I want to be treated. So being a representitive of the brand I can say Im ashamed on how this is being handled and embarrassed that we have representives of the company treating our customers this way.. On behalf of myself let me extend an apology to anyone reading this that has been treated poorly by Ram , Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep in the same manner as I have.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
tom6624
Default Engine light issue

I have not heard of the lawsuit, but I purchased an new 2500 diesel 6.7 and the engine light comes on all the time. Had it at the dealership 4 times in 4 months and told it is OK to drive with the light on. I do not want to do since I purchased to trail horses.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM
huntergreen
Professional

this lawsuit has ben going on for awhile. i am a 5.9 diesel fan, but i did my research and found the 6.7 wasn't for me. once cummins goes to the urea additive, mpg and reliability will be back.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it odd, at how many people will buy these 6.7 diesel trucks and use them for a daily driver. They wernt built to haul a gallon of milk, they were built to haul the whole cow. These trucks are built for work, hard work. You have to beat the hell out of them to keep them cleaned out. These trucks are loaded down so bad with emmision crap that they are sooting up badly. Ther are 2 ways to fix this, beat the hell out of it, or dont buy one. Seriously though, if you plan on making it a 40mph daily driver, delete the EGR, straight pipe it, then put a programmer on it, problem solved.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tom6624
I have not heard of the lawsuit, but I purchased an new 2500 diesel 6.7 and the engine light comes on all the time. Had it at the dealership 4 times in 4 months and told it is OK to drive with the light on. I do not want to do since I purchased to trail horses.
Tell your dealer to put that in writing...! Then watch how fast he`ll change his tune about saying that.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 PM
lindalou

I am having trouble with my engine light coming on in my 3500. I also smell exhaust in the cab. They have replaced 2 gas sensors so far.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM
rally43

Update to my problem child 2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel.. Its sold and now is someone elses problem. I went back to a new GM 1500 gas until the manufacturers come up with a better solution to their problems...

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 AM
bluedodgeram
Rookie
Angry

Originally Posted by rally43
Found this forum while searching for other people who are having issues with their Ram Diesel trucks.

I own a 2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel . I bought it last October and noticed by 1,000 my regeneration notice would pop up every 3 days and I would have to drive it and clear it. I thought it was just a fluke but it started to become a hassle every 3 days to drive an additional 15-20 miles out of my way to clear the regen notice. I live only 2-3 miles from work and use the remote start when its cold ( Live in Northern Michigan ) .

So I started taking photos of the dash regen notices with odo in the frame of the picture for records to show service.

Every 3 days or so (unless i had a long trip in between ) The regen would come on. I missed getting up to continuous speed one time and it went into limp mode while I was trying to do a regen.

So into the shop it goes . They have to plug in to the ecu and lower the spare and run it for about an hour while parked away from anything flammable.

Once cleared back to the every 3 days regen. Then at approx 2821 miles the 4wd went inop during a snowstorm. Yep only 2wd on icy snow covered roads.. FUN !

Goes into shop... They inform me that theres an 8 pin connector on the transfer case and only several pins used. On the back of the unused pin connector there is suppose to be a rubber plug. Mine was built with one missing. No huge deal , but was an issue none the less..

Back to driving and doing a regen clearing every few days.. I call Ram customer care.. They say no problem we will adress yoru concerns here is a case number. Im thinking cool they are concerned about me as a customer.. They suggest bringing it back in and they will get engineering involved . I do and they find or say that the truck seems to be operating as normal.

After 3-4 weeks and continuous regen problems, I call back only to find they cleared my case and re issue me a new case #. I re explain the issues and they say we are sending you to " ENHANCED " customer care and assign me Bruce.. Bruce leaves me a message at home to get in contact with him, I try for about a week before he returns my call. He schedules me to bring the truck in and when its here he will get engineering involved again.

( Multiple times during these phone calls to ram customer care they kept saying i should trade it in and see the dealer but they wont help with anything financially )

I drop it off on a Wed. No call from Bruce... Thursday they finally call the dealer and work with engineering. Doug the engineer calls me and says the truck is within operating specs and within federal guidelines.

I ask him if he thinks its reasonable to have to drive 15 miles out of your way every 3 days to clear a regen on your way home from work ? He said " Well its certainly an inconvenience " I then say lets take this calculation out further.. Over 100,000 miles on the truck I have to drive approximately 25,000 miles of that clearing the regen code. He again stated the truck is in operating parameters and tehre is nothing that can be done. Nothing is defective..

I refrain from getting to angry as he didnt design or build the truck but Chrysler / Ram did..

I again ask if he personally thinks its resonable for me to have that fuel expense and loss of miles usage ( 25,000 over 100,000 ) just to clear the regen light. He gets frustrated and blames the dealership for not explaining to me that the truck is not designed for short distances PERIOD ! And that the dealer was suppose to explain this to me. I said Hmmm Really now ? Yes they have special training just for this.. Oh do they now I say ?

I ask him if there should be large decals on the window of every Dodge Ram Diesel telling customers who drive short disntaces NOT TO BUY THIS TRUCK ? His stated " YES THEY SHOULD "

Knowing that we were going to agree on the disagreement I ended the conversation dcumenting everything since 1,00 miles.

Well , I get emailed the ram corporate rep for the area to see if he can help. He forwarded to the Service Rep for Ram who covers the area.. I get a call today and the first word out of her mouth were , I hear you have been emailing everybody about yoru problem and I understand thats nothings wrong so we cant help you . HUH ? and WOW among other thoughts .. Like this is how Ram wants to treat its customers ? Are you kidding me ? I tried explaining my problem and why i think there is something wrong but she said that if engineering said nothings wrong then nothing is wrong.. I said I guess I have no other option but to seek legal action. She said good luck and hung up...

What you guys reading this didnt understand until this moment is I work for a Chrysler / Dodge / Ram dealership. Yep Im the guy that is suppose to bend over backwards for a customer and take care of issues on a daily basis because I want to treat them how I want to be treated. So being a representitive of the brand I can say Im ashamed on how this is being handled and embarrassed that we have representives of the company treating our customers this way.. On behalf of myself let me extend an apology to anyone reading this that has been treated poorly by Ram , Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep in the same manner as I have.
I hear you, I noticed that DodgeCAcares didn't email you, or try to reassure you that is normal, I myself am having headlight issues now, which it did not when I purchased the truck. I'm a heavy equipment Tech, and I work lot's on Dirtymax's and Powerstrokes. I can reassure you that Duramax their newer version of their 6.6 diesel's when the Regen light comes on, the vehicle has to go for a good burn on the highway to burn off the soot build up in the DPF muffler, once cleared it should be fine. We have manually regened the DPF through the Tech 2 but GM does not recommend it, it is not a sufficient Regen. GM recommends driving the unit on a freeway continously to perform the proper requested Regen, and that's more enviromentally friendly? I think not, but the newer diesels will have the urea system, maybe this will help out in these issues, I highly doubt it. But for now, like in my situation, Chrysler tells us its normal, suck it up princess, which is BS.

Last edited by bluedodgeram; 11-16-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008-2011 Dodge 6.7l Diesel Truck class action law suit