4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote start and Security Group option

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 AM
berning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start and Security Group option

Who has this option, and how good is the remote start compared to aftermarket models? Also what does the Security Alarm add? The truck already comes with Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System.
Can someone please tell me the difference in the two, and is this option worth getting?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
GMONEY126
Rookie

I have it and the range is HORRIBLE! Although I don't mind going to the window to start it up. Especially here in Canada. Its a pretty good integration into the key, I hate carrying extra keys/fobs around so thats why I opted for the dodge version. If you have no problem carrying around an extra fob then I would highly suggest going aftermarket with a 2way system so you know if the truck started or not.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
finc.jb
Professional

What about the security feature??

Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Helevitia

I think the best part about the remote start is all of the non-security features.

It automatically remembers all of your settings such as mirrors, radio stations, seat positions, and more I can't remember. You can turn on an option to have the seat move back 2 inches and then when you get in and put your key in the ignition, it goes back to your memorized location. It also turns on the HVAC and defrosts your windows, heats your seat, defrosts your mirrors, heats the steering wheel, etc... If it's hot outside it does the opposite.

The car is automatically locked and you can't use anything on the instrument panel or take the truck out of park until you insert the key and turn it to the "on" position.

Also, you can have the second keyfob remember a second set of settings for your wife or whoever.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:47 PM
BrianLI
Rookie

My factory remote start/alarm system works from quite a far distance. I am very happy with it. I still have yet to test the alarm but im sure that works great also.

I would recommend just having the remote starter put in by dodge instead of going after market. If you do go after market they will have to take one of your keys away from you in order for the remote starter to work.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like my OEM remote start. I am impressed by its range. I can start my truck from anywhere in my house. It auto locks the doors for security. Like was said earlier, if cold outside, it turns the defrost on also. I love it and have no idea why you would want aftermarket.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
blue2050
Veteran

I have it.
I was staying in the 4th floor of a motel...working.
The truck was parked 50' from the side of the hotel....away from other vehicles.
I could start it from my room.
Only thing is what gmoney126 said.
Have to see it, to know it started. Flashes its lights.

I have not made the security system go off either...yet.
Car has the same thing. Set it off accidenatly. Blowing horns and flashing lights is plenty
nerve wracking.

There are better alarms, but none so integrated as the OEM. Its impressive.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM
jram99
Veteran

Mine works from a good distance also. Started my truck one time while at work from inside the building. I'd say at least 60-70 ft away. I don't have the memorized power seats so mine doesn't move the seats but it sure is nice to have your butt warm, hands warm, winshield starting to defrost. It gives you a bunch of options you can program. I have set the alarm off and it's gets your attention. Horn and lights flashing. One thing and I haven't decided if this is good or bad, if your battery is low, the truck will start, but only runs a minute or so then turns off. I ran my battery down loading CD's onto the HDD while sitting in the drive. Won't be doing that anymore! Jeff.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
GMONEY126
Rookie

Aftermarket car starters are hitting ranges of 300 - 1000 feet easily. I don't think 50 or 70 feet is something to write home about and I still classify that as horrible in comparison. I do agree with the assessment regarding a factory install - I much prefer that and something you don't have to worry about if a problem does arise.

The temperature convenience option is nice though, heated seats and steering wheel turn on when you start the car in cold temperatures and the seats are cooled when starting in hot temperatures but I'm not sure if this can't still happen with an aftermarket system. Anyway, like I said, my only complaints are the range and that its just a 1way system.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 PM
jram99
Veteran

GMONEY126, I think most people wouldn't care if they could remotely start their truck from 300-1000 feet away. Personally I wouldn't do it even if I could. I only use the remote start for the pre-heating/cooling aspect. Otherwise, wouldn't care if the truck had remote start or not. This is the first time I've had remote start and after the new wore off I don't even use it except early morning just before I leave for work. The only option the truck has that I use less is the sun roof. Jeff.

Quick Reply: Remote start and Security Group option