4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2009 Ram - Is the Hemi worth the added price over the V6 models?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2009 Ram - Is the Hemi worth the added price over the V6 models?

Based on the front page article, in your opinion, is the Hemi worth the added price over the V6 models?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Smoothbassman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply put....Yes!

More power. MPG almost the same on the highway if you get the MDS version. Why even consider the V6

Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any V8 in a truck is worth something over a 6. Don't rule out the 4.7. I had the 4.7 in a 2002 that was bullet proof for 135,000 miles and still perfect. The new 310 hp version is very smooth, powerful, and avoids the MDS of the hemi. The hemi is more powerful, but not as smooth at idle.

If you get the 20 inch wheels, hemi with 3.92 or 3.55 is a great choice, but the 4.7 with 3.92 is a dang good package IMO.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
bmjwright

All three engines have their place. I wouldn't buy a V6 truck, but $3000 is a significant difference in price and there are people that just want the cheapest new truck they can get.

I bought the 4.7L (08) because I liked the truck it was in and the one they had with the 5.7L was $2000 more. I drove both and the 5.7L wasn't worth $2000 more.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
lancelanz
Veteran

i would almost say that is a stupid question lol. i really like mine and in my opinion it is well worth it!

Old 01-30-2009, 05:35 PM
qicvick
Professional

I love my hemi! That said my 04 laramie had a 4.7,20 in. tires/392 rear end and it was a very good combo, I have a 4500 lb traval trailer that i pulled all over Texas on regular gas and it never missed a beat, it got the same as my mds hemi solo fuel mileage, haven't towed with hemi but I can tell it has a lot more torque, not sure about v6 difference in price to 4.7 but unless you are hauling a lot of the time I would consider the 4.7 over the v6

Old 02-06-2009, 06:20 PM
kevin mccune
Amateur
Default of course they cant do a better standard engine

No wonder they are going out of business-you can say what you like(and it will be an opinion like mine) there is no way in the world you will get a 5.7 around here for 3k more- you will probaly pay more then 10k extra for the 5.7 and nissan already gives you a great standard engine(stick a programmer on an endurance and see what happens)I love the looks of a Dodge but they are shooting thierself in the foot.Dodge can do a heck of a lot better-lets hope they do before its too late-Kevin

Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevin mccune
No wonder they are going out of business-you can say what you like(and it will be an opinion like mine) there is no way in the world you will get a 5.7 around here for 3k more- you will probaly pay more then 10k extra for the 5.7 and nissan already gives you a great standard engine(stick a programmer on an endurance and see what happens)I love the looks of a Dodge but they are shooting thierself in the foot.Dodge can do a heck of a lot better-lets hope they do before its too late-Kevin
Stick a programmer on a Hemi and see what happens.......same thing only more.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 PM
kevin mccune
Amateur
Default does the 5.7 have 4 valves per cylinder?

some people claim the 5.7 Dodge is a hemispherical head design in name only is this true? If its not a true Hemi-then why do people keep with the hype? I hear MDS is not so great in the real world.I do know Dodge is the most traded truck around here ( EXCEPT FOR THE CASE TRACTOR BASED CUMMINS)people love the 5.9-plenty of power and fuel effiecency-Kevin

Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevin mccune
some people claim the 5.7 Dodge is a hemispherical head design in name only is this true? If its not a true Hemi-then why do people keep with the hype? I hear MDS is not so great in the real world.I do know Dodge is the most traded truck around here ( EXCEPT FOR THE CASE TRACTOR BASED CUMMINS)people love the 5.9-plenty of power and fuel effiecency-Kevin
Yes it is a Hemi, some people just don't want it to be. Apparently, its a good thing it doesn't suffer from 4V per cylinder. The exact same size 5.7L Toyota with 4V per cylnder puts out *less* power per cubic inch then the 2V Hemi which does it with only one cam down it the block and no factory headers. How is that? Gotta love it umm umm um.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Ram - Is the Hemi worth the added price over the V6 models?