4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TRX v. Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Mopar21277
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX v. Sport

Hey guys - I'm torn here and need some feedback. To start with, it is absolutely maddening trying to find a Sport with 3.92's, it seems that the bean counters who are ordering these trucks are trying to save $$$ where they can, so they don't opt for the $375 option for the 3.92's and posi. So, it looks like I'll be ordering a truck to get it just the way I want it.

To me, the best look is the Laramie, with the fender flares and chrome grill and bumpers. The Sport looks good with the chrome grill and I can live with the painted bumpers. The TRX looks really good with the gray two-tone and flares, but not with the painted grill. My "needs and wants" are: Tech package, Nav, 3.92 gears. To get the Nav, particularly in a TRX, it would likely have to be ordered, or dealer installed.

As best as I can tell, the only advantages in ordering the Sport, which costs around $1200-$1500 more are: Dual exhaust, Part-time 4WD, stitched dash, 20's and dual temp control. Am I missing anything? To me, the 20's aren't mandatory, neither is the part-time 4wd.

I'm thinking that one could order the stiched dash and chrome grill through the parts dep't and install them on a TRX? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Hop
Professional

I'm going with a sport as well.
2009 Ram Sport Crew 4x4, Inferno Red, Hemi, 3.92 Gears LSD, 32 gal tank, trailer hitch Sport Premium group, Remote start & security Group, Uconnect Nav, Park View backup camera, Power Pedals, Protection Group and Leather seats. The only thing I'm not sure on is the protection group. It looks as if you can get the skid plates but, they don't offer the tow hooks on a sport model?
The interior is dark slate gray and not two tone like in all the rest. The muffler is different as well and has a throaty sound. Swing by the dealership and pic up a pamplet on the 1500 ram. In the back is a list of all the different models and options. It's also much easier to read and will fill in the blanks alot better than the online "build your own". The only reason I'm not going with the TRX is that they only come in two tone. I'll add aftermarket flares painted to match when I get mine. Another thing that the sport lacks is the towing mirrors. Other than that there are a bunch of things standard on a sport that you wont get on a SLT or TRX.
--Hop

Old 03-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Laramie all the way. Heated/cooled seats, dual zone temp, remote start, nav/mygig, dual exhaust, easy to find with 3.92 gears, available in monochrome or two tone, unique 20" wheels, chrome bumpers w/ nicer grill, and more.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Silver 20's and chrome trim (mineral gray SLT) appealed to me. I refuse to order a Sport/Laramie with "permaglued/plastichrome" 20" wheel covers.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wanted the trx4 for the limited slip, 3.92's, skid plates, tow hooks, trailer hitch, etc. i also was limited to what i paid. i don't see why you can't order a chrome grill either.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sarguy01
i wanted the trx4 for the limited slip, 3.92's, skid plates, tow hooks, trailer hitch, etc. i also was limited to what i paid. i don't see why you can't order a chrome grill either.
Same here, it's more my style of truck....Rather have premium cloth than leather, 17" rims because i'll end up lifting, aftermarket exhaust, wanted basic stereo for its ease to upgrade, etc. (i'm an avid mtn biker, surfer, hiker, camper, etc etc, wanted a more rugged truck because it wont stay pretty forever)

Last edited by bigred3297; 03-11-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I made a decision a while ago on what my next DD will be. I did not opt for the 4th Gen Ram, but it I did it would have been a R/T RC or a Sport RC. Both trucks are great though.

Quick Reply: TRX v. Sport