Originally Posted by MisterScott
Bigred, great job. I took my AVIC-Z2 out of my 07.5 heavy duty and have been staring at my 09 1500 trying to figure out how to get it in. I'd love to hear what you did and who makes the harnesses. Metra? I have the mygig, but the AVIC is so much better on the interface, the nav and the size.
I wanted to install an AVIC but out here in Hawaii we don't get XM so no Nav....which sucks by the way..
Not sure who makes the harness but they do have them now i just had to order mine because nobody was carrying them. Also i got a chrysler antenna adapter and had to grind the end off to where the tiny coax would pair with the stock and then i soldered and superglued them together so it's one solid piece.. They don't make an antenna adapter for the truck yet.
Quick Run Through--off the top of my head
- Remove the panel underneath the steering wheel, 2 screws and it pops off
- Pop off rubber mat that says dodge above your radio on dash
- Remove two star screws from there and lift on the back while sliding towards windshield
- Remove plastic molding from around power outlet(pops off)
- Remove screw from outlet area
- Remove trim piece underneath cupholders (pops off)
- Remove screws underneath cig outlets
- Pop off dash carefully
- Remove plugs from back
- Remove stock stereo
- Shave down plastic where bottom where dbldin will rub (dremel)
- Grind off metal bracket to clear dbldin (dremel)
This is the basics and to explain the entire area around the radio down to the cupholder pops off, even though it's 2toned..