4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone install an electronic brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
HG07JKRubi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anyone install an electronic brake controller?

When my '09 1500 is delivered I'll need to have an electronic brake controller installed to tow my camper. Just wondering if anyone has had one installed and if so what's involved? Is there a wiring harness already available in the truck from the factory to plug the brake controller into or will there be some wiring involved ???

Thanks

Old 03-03-2009, 02:53 PM
goatowner

I am currently installing a brake controller in my ’09 2500. I installed one in my old Ford 350 years ago and it appears to be much the same.

Mine (the controller) has four wires which are color coded. The truck came with a plug and pigtail (found in the glove box with instructions). The female plug is located just above the parking brake pedal. This links to the rear trailer plug so all the hard stuff is already done.

Finding a place to locate the controller was my problem. I’m short ( 5’6”), so by the time I get the seat up where I’m comfortable there is little knee room for the traditional mounting place (under the dash in front of one or the other knee). What I will be doing is just pushing the controller into that little cubby hole just above the radio. I have tried this and it is a snug enough fit that I think it will work out OK. I thought about pulling the dash and running the wiring up through the dash to this location. But, this would entail more dismantling than I wanted to do plus it would mean drilling holes and giving up that space.

I have made up a harness to route the wiring from the plug under the dash, down the channel by the left door sill, and under the driver’s seat. There it will come out through the hole in the carpet for the seat wiring and end in a plug. I am in the process of completing the harness from the controller that will plug into this harness when I am using the trailer.

Yes, when I am using the controller the harness will drape down in front of the radio to the floor. That would not be “clean” enough for some. It could also interfere with a passenger who was sitting in the middle front seat. For me, the pluses out weigh the minuses so I am choosing this option but it might not be acceptable for others. When I am not using the controller it will get unplugged and stored out of the way with only the plug from the front harness showing under the driver’s seat. I only offer it as one option.

Art.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
HG07JKRubi
Rookie

Originally Posted by goatowner
The truck came with a plug and pigtail (found in the glove box with instructions).
Anyone know if this is included in the Ram 1500's or is it part of a package on the 2500? If not anyone have a part# ?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
goatowner

On the instruction sheet that was in the plastic bag with my plug and pig tail was this Electric Brake Kit (PN 56045795AB REV: A1)

I don’t know if this is specific to the 2500 or not.

This may be part of the towing package, I don’t know for sure.

Hope this helps,

Art.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
HG07JKRubi
Rookie

Anyone else have any experience installing a brake controller on an '09 1500 ?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

That same stuff came with my '07, but I did have the towing package on it so I'm not sure if that was part of the package. My new trailer has hydraulic brakes, so no need for a controller on this truck.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 PM
SAXN8R

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Anyone else have any experience installing a brake controller on an '09 1500 ?
I installed mine today. It took less than 10 minutes. Buy the wire harness/plug from your dealer's parts department. connect the 4 wires using the instructions from your brake controller and the instructions from your wire harness.

I mounted mine under the dash using the one existing screw just to the right of the E-brake release handle and zip tied the wires to an existing harness to hold them out of the way.

It's pretty simple and straight forward.

Corey

Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 AM
HG07JKRubi
Rookie

Originally Posted by SAXN8R
I installed mine today. It took less than 10 minutes. Buy the wire harness/plug from your dealer's parts department. connect the 4 wires using the instructions from your brake controller and the instructions from your wire harness.

I mounted mine under the dash using the one existing screw just to the right of the E-brake release handle and zip tied the wires to an existing harness to hold them out of the way.

It's pretty simple and straight forward.

Corey
That's good news...would it be too much to ask you to post a picture of the install and harness connection?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 AM
drober30
Veteran

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
That's good news...would it be too much to ask you to post a picture of the install and harness connection?

Thanks
If you can throw up a picture that would be great! I would like to see how it looks too!

Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 PM
goatowner

Are you asking for a picture of the wiring plug up under the dash or of the controller mounting?

Art.

Quick Reply: anyone install an electronic brake controller?