4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Eraser Wheel warning/damage

Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM
pacific nw guy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eraser Wheel warning/damage

I posted yesterday about some damage from debaging a black truck with anderaser wheel. I have been very concerned that I truly screwed up my paint.

Turns out I thought I had done a lot more than I did. I luckily found a local detail shop open today and in about 5 minutes he buffed out the small scratches to a better than showroom shine.

Needless to say I am not messing with my paint anymore but I wanted to let everyone know about my experience and what the detailer said. He said the eraser wheels are about the most dangerous thing out there to a clear coat. HE thought I actually did a real good job and that my impact was minimal but warned that they can easily burn through the clearcoat.

My vehicle is black and with that the little scratches that were created were evident and if I had white or silver I am sure they would be hard to see.

What i find funny is that all over the web there are posts and videos about how great these things are. I am a novice and as easy as it looks all I can say is be careful. One video I watch I could see the guy was pushing down harder than me so I guarantee he has the same marks if not worse.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Ryan Albert
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used with no problems for years. Be sure to not exceed the max RPMS listed for the eraser wheel.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 PM
pacific nw guy
Professional
Default rpms

Originally Posted by Ryan Albert
I've used with no problems for years. Be sure to not exceed the max RPMS listed for the eraser wheel.
i definitely did not, i used a rather weak drill and 4000 rpms is pretty fast spinning.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:45 PM
rdculus
Veteran

Ive had good results, but I mostly used it on lighter colour vehicles. Black definately shows everything. they definately save the thumbnail though!!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM
rjc799
Veteran

I used it on mine with no issues either...hmmm.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 PM
pacific nw guy
Professional
Default maybe I am the idiot

but I am just passing along info. paint can be messed up and costly to fix...

Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM
72combo
Champion

I had a problem once when I was using mine it got warm and I set it down it fall and the rubber touched the ground. I thought I cleaned it good but a small metal shaving got stuck in it...lucky it flew out or the scratches would have been bad. You have to keep it clean and do not over rev, it won't work without generating a bit of heat but dont hold it in one spot either, kinda like the same rules as buffing. I never had any other issues than that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eraser Wheel warning/damage