4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drive by Wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
SubRammer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive by Wire

This is the first vehicle i have owned/ driven with the throttle by wire (or any torque management system) technology and i am still not sure about it. Sometimes the throttle just doesn't behave and react like a traditional carburated or fuel injected vehicle. I know this has a lot to do with the aggressive torque management system, but the jury is still out on how much i like it (I still love the truck overall, just unsure about this aspect of it). I was just curious about ya'lls thoughts on the system as well as if anyone has had trouble with this or similar systems. Also if ya'll have had good experiences with this setup I'd like to hear that too.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I don't care for it at all, but it looks as though that's the way things are going. The ETC is the reason I think a tuner (when a good one comes out) is going to do way more for these motors than they have for any in the past. That and, when they hack into it far enough, being able to phase the cam and tune the intake. On a positive note: I think it probably makes the cruise control more precise.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 PM
mike2810
Captain

The Ram is the second vehicle I have owned that was "drive by wire". So far it has met my expectations and performance needs. I'll admit I do not drive hard, (no burn outs, hard accelerations, max 4x4 situations). The truck responds well enough to meet my driving needs (rain, snow, sun).

Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Inbred
Professional

my f150 was tbw, and had lots of the same 'issues', although most of them I saw as benefits and not problems. It does have some cool things, like modifying your throttle response when in reverse for a lot finer control, etc. If you're looking for fast launches and tire smoking, no, you won't like it.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
blue2050
Veteran

I am old school.
I think God intended for man to be able to rev his engine from under the hood.

Quick Reply: Drive by Wire