4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid torque converter clutch

Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 PM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why I like my Sport with the center console and Slap Stick or Auto Shift if you may. So I can drive **** out of mine . I find these trucks have certain spots that when you kick it is the *** it pulls harder.....on the highway at 70 mph I am way under 2000 rpm. Unless of course I am being erratic on the gas, but with cruise on....I wonder if the engine is even running. I do notice that it really doesn't have a hard pulll from the line but after the revs get up there she starts pullin like a tractor.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Inbred
Professional

you say you originally thought mds, why do you not think that anymore? MDS sounds like exactly what you're describing.

If your torque converter was locked up as you decelerated to a near stop, your engine would stall. Likely long before you ever got to that point. Which is why I said you should learn more about how torque converters work.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:46 PM
RGVram99
Professional

I'm pretty sure it's not the MDS, unfortunately my truck does not have the MDS indicator feature on the EVIC. After I installed my Magnaflow muffler, I can hear when the MDS kicks in. The exhaust gives off a low frequency bubbling sound like it is misfiring and my MPG monitor usually climbs 1 to 2 tenths when this happens. Pretty sure thats the MDS at work. This other problem is exactly what Bigred3297 and Tombogue09 have experienced. The truck feels like it is stuck in the wrong gear or has the parking brake engaged. I experience this problem intermittently on a frequent basis. It has to be a bug in the software because it goes away when you stop or give it more gas. But like bigred said, if you give it too much gas, the tranny does a hard downshift to 1st or 2nd and you get whiplashed. I've done this a few times with my family in the truck and my wife gets pissed and tells me to stop showing off!! I have to admit, I do love punching it but I wish my tranny could shift more responsively like my buddy's tundra.

Last edited by RGVram99; 05-14-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Inbred
Professional

ok, I gotcha, I know that sound well. Sounds like you're not happy with the shift programming. I can't see how it has anything to do with a locking torque converter.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
RGVram99
Professional

Ok, it happened again yesterday and I paid real close attention to what to what was going on. I was driving in town doing 35 to 45 mph and I slowed down to turn into my subdivision, my mph dropped to 13 to 15 mph when I turned (did not make a complete stop). When I accelerated into my neighborhood, the truck felt like it lacked power and had the parking brake on. I have the shifter on the steering column, when I tap the - button on the shifter one time, the truck indicates what gear you are currently in, in that moment I was in 4th gear. I progressively gave the truck gas and it refused to downshift, until the gas pedal is near WOT. I tried pressing the tow/haul switch and it did not affect the condition. I tapped the -/+ button on the shifter and manually dropped into 3rd gear, much better. In my opinion, when my speed drops to under 20mph the truck should be shifting into 2nd or 3rd. You guys tell me, what would cause the tranny to stay stuck in a high gear and not downshift? I'll be taking in my truck to the dealer Monday I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Muchpower

It very well could be the converter is un-locking too late or being delayed.

This will happen if the lock-up surface and/or the friction disc that is bonded to damper plate assembly is ripped or torn.

Just a thought.....tell us what the dealer says!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Not saying that there is not an issue for some of y'all, but I think too many people expect their truck to perform like a sports car when in reality it's a truck.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:22 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RGVram99
Ok, it happened again yesterday and I paid real close attention to what to what was going on. I was driving in town doing 35 to 45 mph and I slowed down to turn into my subdivision, my mph dropped to 13 to 15 mph when I turned (did not make a complete stop). When I accelerated into my neighborhood, the truck felt like it lacked power and had the parking brake on. I have the shifter on the steering column, when I tap the - button on the shifter one time, the truck indicates what gear you are currently in, in that moment I was in 4th gear. I progressively gave the truck gas and it refused to downshift, until the gas pedal is near WOT. I tried pressing the tow/haul switch and it did not affect the condition. I tapped the -/+ button on the shifter and manually dropped into 3rd gear, much better. In my opinion, when my speed drops to under 20mph the truck should be shifting into 2nd or 3rd. You guys tell me, what would cause the tranny to stay stuck in a high gear and not downshift? I'll be taking in my truck to the dealer Monday I'll keep you posted.
I noticed that too. Deccelerating to turn (10-15 mph max), I slapped the stick and the evic said I was in third which presumably means that I was in 4th before slapping the stick. Don't know off hand hat the ratio is for 4th gear, but I'm thinking it's a little high for 10-15 mph. I guess the only options are to complain and hope for a tsb, or to hold out for a tuner that supports are tcm.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 PM
budlyte
Rookie

I thought if you moved the stick once it just shows what gear you are currently in. The second time you move it is when the gear changes.

EDIT: I think this may only happen if you are in ERS mode and not in "D";

Last edited by budlyte; 05-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 AM
72combo
Champion

How can you tell if the MDS is functioning if you do not have the notification light? Mine was built before they had light bulbs I guess.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid torque converter clutch