4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ECM Flash or Programmer

Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did notice that the truck downshifts much sooner with tow/haul turned on. The little bit of engine braking is appreciated when towing.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
Hypertech has a programmer for the 09 Hemi? I stand corrected.
Yes. I got lucky and got in on the beta test. Right now I am running the regular gas flash and there is little difference between that and stock. With the premium fuel, there is a noticable difference, but it still doesn't address torque management, shift points, or the rev limiter. They did figure out how to raise the speed limiter.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 72combo
I don't know if this applies but I have noticed this truck is one of the worst vehicles for drag when you let off the gas that I have even had. Even my Durango R/T with 392's didn't make you feel like you put the brakes on when you let off the gas on the highway is where I notice it not in the city. 60 mph down to 40 in a few seconds, then it mellows.
Engine braking is a good thing. I hate it when trucks act like your foot is till on the gas when you let off.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
srt8/bmw
Amateur

Originally Posted by joker055
I've noticed (and read on other boards) that the '09 Ram 1500 is programmed to decelerate when shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. I guess it's a way to save fuel. Has anyone else noticed their trucking doing the same thing? Have you read or heard about having the ECM "flashed" or know of a programmer that can "correct" this?

to the "trained" eye/ear/foot--this substantial detuning is very noticable. In my 300C, my SRT8 and my CTS-V, plus recent other vehicles--an after market tune changes the vehicle dramatically.

I have noticed that-at least in my experience- Chrysler vehicles are detuned the most, and seem to be the least user friendly for the tuners to figure out. The SRT engineers have said as much in their on-line forum chats.

So when I drive my Ram, it is easily noticable and very frustrating. The vehicle is substantially de-tuned in a number of ways--most noticeably from a standing start under hard acceleration, and during shifts.

I can't wait for a good tuner (Hypertech, Diablo-whomever) to come out with a fix for this. This truck will ten feel like 390hp/407 TQ. As it is now--it feels significantly less than that.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:25 PM
RichardR

The info for Hypertech is wrong, It's for the 340 HP HEMI not the 390HP in the 2009 RAM.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 AM
joker055
Amateur

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Engine braking is a good thing. I hate it when trucks act like your foot is till on the gas when you let off.
I don't know about drag on this truck, but I noticed with mine (when not in Tow/Haul mode) when I let off the gas this thing loves to roll. I guess it's the torque converter not staying engaged. I feel like I use the brakes a lot on this truck to keep from running over cars in front of me.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by 72combo
I don't know if this applies but I have noticed this truck is one of the worst vehicles for drag when you let off the gas that I have even had. Even my Durango R/T with 392's didn't make you feel like you put the brakes on when you let off the gas on the highway is where I notice it not in the city. 60 mph down to 40 in a few seconds, then it mellows.
I have the opposite experience. Compared to my 06 tacoma, this dodge ram feels like its coasting in neutral when I let off the gas. In some of the mountain driving I do where I use to let the tacoma engine brake to slow down I now either have to use brakes/put the Ram in tow/haul mode/ or downshift to 4th to have any meaningful engine breaking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECM Flash or Programmer