4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Box Warpage

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
EricVaBeach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Ram Box Warpage

Just got my Ram-Box doors replaced free of charge due to a TSB (or whatever Dodge is calling them these days) due to warpage. Just want to make sure others are aware that this is out there.

Attached Thumbnails Ram Box Warpage-img_0004.jpg  
Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 PM
seigell
Veteran

And you experienced actual warpage ?? In the doors - sheetmetal ?? Or the plastic "railtop" ?? Or was this purely preventative ??

I haven't noticed any problem on my Rambox, but it's only been mine for a month and change...

Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 AM
72combo
Champion

I wondered about that and for the price that is all I did wonder, why that space is there already just put it on all those doors are not worth 1500 bucks

Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 AM
EricVaBeach
Default Warpage Visible?

Not exactly visible. I believe the warpage refers to where the underside of the painted metal surface of the door is stuck to the plastic "liner", so the doors would have to be open to see it. Anyway, no, I could not see what they were talking about, but happy just the same to get new Ram Boxes. The Ram Boxes have been great! Only thing that I would like to see in the future is to have them tied to the truck's security alarm. I am a security alarm contractor, and so far, these Ram Boxes are working out better than a drop-in tool box. Also have no problems having the Home Depot forklift operators drop-in pallets of cinder block and top soil for the new garden. A bigger problem for me is the tailgate plastic top protector piece, which seems to fall off very easily. I've alread had this piece replaced once, and am considering using an "Emblem Glue" by 3M to permanently adhere the thing.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Usmc Mopar
Amateur

I saw two trucks at the dealership with warpage on the rambox plastic, I asked the salesman what happened and he said it was from someone trying to pry it open from the other side. I should of had known better, it is scary for me to see that it is more common than I suspected.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EricVaBeach
Just got my Ram-Box doors replaced free of charge due to a TSB (or whatever Dodge is calling them these days) due to warpage. Just want to make sure others are aware that this is out there.
eric,
did you have any pinstripe on your truck? if so did they replace it also?
thx

Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Ramboxes = $1500+ and warpage

Toolbox = $300 and no problems

I have neither, just pointing out my observation(s)

Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

Mine is a 12-08 build , have not any problems with ram boxes...
Oh wait I lied, everytime I park it someone comes up asking questions about the doors???

Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 AM
HEMICrew
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
Ramboxes = $1500+ and warpage

Toolbox = $300 and no problems

I have neither, just pointing out my observation(s)
I hate to pick on a fellow Texan but your post is off base. Toolbox takes up bedspace length-wise whereas the RamBox just uses the wheel wells and can still take just about anythign you need to haul. And it's really nice for tail gaiting and anything else you want to put in there to save it from the elements and have it locked. Oh and don't forget you also get the bed extender/divider which I definitely like. With the deal on my truck (approximately 30% off MSRP), I really paid about $1326.50 for the RamBox option. I love it and have had NO warpage issues. I'm sorry if some of you don't like the RamBox but it's a very useful feature. Another reason why Chrysler will survive and is MUCH better than Ford...INGENUITY!! Chrysler has just had bad management but they are very innovative!

Love live the Ram!
Jason

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
seigell
Veteran

Sobo: The RamBox is a pricey option, but not the exact equal of a Sleeper Toolbox...
1) Sleeper consumes additional 16-18" of already short 5'7" box, so add in $300+ for a Bed Extender to try to recover that length.
2) RamBox comes with a great Locking Bed Divider / Bed Extender that provides significant functionality and turns your 5'7" bed into about 7' of useful length.
3) RamBox comes with integrated Load Management System (rails/tie-down), so add in $150+.
4) RamBox is well integrated into the lines and flow of the 09 Ram Crew Cab, while most Sleeper Toolboxes are utilitarian "blocks" that poke up above the bed rails and is rarely color-matched or blended to the truck. (personal choice / personal style)

Does this make the value match the $1500+ cost - still no... But in at least my case, the purchase decision was based on more than the overall $500-750-1000 price differential. And I'm quite happy with my decision, and expect to continue so through years of usage. (ymmv)

Quick Reply: Ram Box Warpage