4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

For those who's key fob stops working....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
TDD_Shizzy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched my FOB with my extra and it still happens. I usually sit in my truck after I shut it off until the radio shuts off, then open the doors (i like to listen to the end of whatever song is on), and im going to see if that has anything to do with it. Going to avoid staying in the truck to long and see if that helps.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Pinch99

This happens to me every other day and it's scarier when I don't hear the horn when I am trying to lock the truck remotely. Most of the time it comes around.

When I am trying to unlock it, and it fails. I'll push the lock button, hear it lock, then hit unlock and it works. I've tried both fobs, I am at the dealer today and they are performing software updates, but it's nothing related to this.

I do have and use remote start all the time. I hope someone finds a solution.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Brummo
Captain

I've got the problems too. Not sure why Dodge techs/shops have not heard of this, at least where I live. Seems llike plenty of us have the same issues. I know next time it goes in it will be looked at. Last time it went in, the dealer was closing and wouldn't look at it. Closing as in forever....

Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Trendkill

It happened to me again today. Tried holding down the unlock key, but still no luck. It didn't actually unlock until it was good and ready on it's own.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 PM
uashemi
Professional

I think that it has to do with the receiver itself. I changed batteries just to see and it was better, at least it seemed that way. I thinks the FOB is directional and unless you point it right at the truck, it doesn't "all" the signal. I tested this by doing the down feature for the windows. Once you see the windows start to go down, point the FOB down, or block it with your hand. The windows stop going down. Also, it appears to depend on which side of the truck I'm on. I determined that as I walk to the truck from the front toward the driver's side it works every time.

I'd be willing to bet that the egineers were aware of a "problem" and decided that the driver would most likely back the truck into a parking spot, as I think most who have a truck do (to show off how well they can manuver the large vehicle of course) and mounted the receiver to match that configuaration.

Or maybe I'm just over analyzing it. . .

Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 PM
RBRK
Rookie

My friend works at a Chrysler dealer and I have access to the Dealer connect site, and I haven't found anything about this on there. They have stuff about the vented seats and some other issues with numbers to call if you have problems, but nothing on this. I keep looking, mine does it also it is random like everyone else. Someday they will come up with the fix. I hope.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 PM
tadst34
Rookie
Default me too

I have this problem at least once a day. If you use the vallet key the alarm goes off. I have the same problem with the inside lock button too. Seems like Dodge QA slipped a bit on this one. I love my Ram, but this bugs me sometimes.
Sometimes if i give the fob a little smack it seems to help, but I am sure it is just luck.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 PM
RBRK
Rookie

I also noticed the inside door button didn't work too. I don't have it happen very much.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 PM
budlyte
Rookie

same here

Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Stonewhiteram
Rookie

I drive many highway miles for work. This problem seems worse when I have been on the road for a several hours non-stop. Today, every time I stopped at a rest stop the fob wouldn't work until after several tries. Eventually it works but IMHO it is a PITA!!!! There is no reason that they can't find the reason for this.

Quick Reply: For those who's key fob stops working....