4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

For those who's key fob stops working....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM
tadst34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my truck in the shop 3 times regarding this issue. They never had a fix. I even filed a case with Chrysler twice. Finally, the last time I took it in they told me they found a case in the "star" system with an 09 ram 1500 with the same issue, they said they replaced the TIPM and it has resolved the issue. My dealer ordered the part and I'm gonna have it installed free of charge(because I filled the complaint before the basic warranty was up). Ill let you all know if it works.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 AM
qicvick
Professional

Good luck, they replaced my Fab once then just told me how much a new one was after warranty ran out, I never use mine now unless my wife is with me, hers has never failed in 4 years!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 PM
chedachris

Originally Posted by tadst34
I've had my truck in the shop 3 times regarding this issue. They never had a fix. I even filed a case with Chrysler twice. Finally, the last time I took it in they told me they found a case in the "star" system with an 09 ram 1500 with the same issue, they said they replaced the TIPM and it has resolved the issue. My dealer ordered the part and I'm gonna have it installed free of charge(because I filled the complaint before the basic warranty was up). Ill let you all know if it works.
I have a feeling that this might be referring to my old truck. It was a 2009 silver w/rambox loaded. I had this truck in the shop for over 100 hours easily for this issue and also intermittent stalling while driving. I live in Ithaca, NY and it was serviced by Maguire dealership. Maybe your tech can look up the case in STAR. They replaced the TIPM module and they thought they fixed it, but the issue still persisted and I told them that. They could never figure it out.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tadst34
please ask what the case number or ID number on the star case. i would like that info.
thx

Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
SMGFATMAN71
Professional

when my truck was new, they replaced a fob and a module, it still occasionally happens, my observation, it never happens for the first 2-3 months of the fob batteries life, after it weakens, its more inclined to happen.....just my observation though........

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM
tadst34
Rookie

When the dealer gets the part and I take it in, I will ask the service manager for any info he has on the star case and pass it along.

The issue is not the fob. It also happens at the door switch. If you can, press the lock/unlock button at the door switch when you first notice it act up. You will find that the door switch is also non responsive.

I know, it is unusually to have the door open and using the fob, I was just testing everything I could and found this out.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
kylecpcs
Default Nope

While I appreciate everyone responding to this thread, I have to point out AGAIN that it's NOT the FOB or it's batteries.

As I and others have pointed out, when it starts happening, the interior door lock buttons will not work either, ruling out the FOB completely.

Also, I have since put in a ultra high end Viper alarm system (the one with the colored LCD FOB with a 2 mile range), and it STILL does it on occasion...again, ruling out the factory FOB and it's batteries.

It will also send a response back to my new Viper FOB telling it it has locked the doors, and it will arm the alarm...but the doors remain unlocked. At least with the alarm, it will page my FOB if someone opens the unlocked doors...

Whatever it is, it sounds like the actual door actuator "brain" itself.

Either way, I've just gotten into the habit of locking, arming, and double checking the doors before I leave it.

I've been posting to and monitoring this thread now for a little over THREE YEARS, and there is STILL no fix. So don't anyone get their hopes up.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

my 09 I took the fob aprt to replace the battery, seen a lot of dust in it . blew it out samr battery , working better

Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM
qicvick
Professional

I believe mine is the key fab... Simply because when mine fails, my wife can simply open her purse and use hers and it works perfect every time! Never in 4 years has hers failed! Solutions I've worked out to deal with mine:
Every week, I take mine apart , remove the motherboard,and spray the motherboard with wd40, I dry it and put it back together and it will work fine for about 2 weeks, I no longer wait till it fails but clean it every week now and it has worked good for about 3 months. I still don't trust it though.
Something else I've done:
Anytime mine has failed in the pass if I'll open the fab, remove the battery a second and reinstall it it will work ( it's never failed to work after this) making me believe that at least mine is the Fab, as a result I've taken an old key and ground it down to a slot screwdriver end which I carry on my keyring, it use this screwdriver key to open fab in an emergency)
I know the little key in the fab will open the door but not without sitting off the alarm.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qicvick
I believe mine is the key fab... Simply because when mine fails, my wife can simply open her purse and use hers and it works perfect every time! Never in 4 years has hers failed! Solutions I've worked out to deal with mine:
Every week, I take mine apart , remove the motherboard,and spray the motherboard with wd40, I dry it and put it back together and it will work fine for about 2 weeks, I no longer wait till it fails but clean it every week now and it has worked good for about 3 months. I still don't trust it though.
Something else I've done:
Anytime mine has failed in the pass if I'll open the fab, remove the battery a second and reinstall it it will work ( it's never failed to work after this) making me believe that at least mine is the Fab, as a result I've taken an old key and ground it down to a slot screwdriver end which I carry on my keyring, it use this screwdriver key to open fab in an emergency)
I know the little key in the fab will open the door but not without sitting off the alarm.
I think there may be an assumption by some in this thread that one symptom means only one cause.

Like you, I know that my issue has always been the fob. I take mine apart every couple of months or so and clean the contacts with alcohol or some other type of non-oily cleaner. It's amazing how much dust and stuff I find inside every time I take it apart.

Best regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, dual exhaust, 20” wheels

Quick Reply: For those who's key fob stops working....