4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

For those who's key fob stops working....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM
dgholmes59
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can, try not carrying the fobs in your pocket all the time. It is possible the button is being depressed alot while you are not around your truck and the codes are getting out of sync. I carry mine in my backpack now and have not had a problem since. But I also got a new fob 6 to 8 months ago. I had an issue once with it. I am beginning to think that the buttons stick up on the fob and make it very easy to depress. Probably has a certain number of rolling codes and then gets out of sync with the receiver. After you push it a bunch of times trying to unlock the doors, they get back in sync. Whatever the case, mine has worked perfect since.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM
dodge5.9liter
Professional

I always take the key out and re-insert it. Don't ask me why, but it works for me when I have already pressed it 50 times.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by buckmann686
I started to have an issue with mine only not unlocking right. I took the battery out and put a new one in the key and all is good again. I don't doubt that there are other issues with this setup just saying try a battery before throwing your hads up waiting on a Dodge fix.
New batteries seem to have done the job here. My wife parks near a secure building, I just wonder if something is going on there with hers because of the signals being given off by the building?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fob for our Grand Cherokee started acting up earlier this year and would take multiple presses to actually do anything. I opened it up and found one of the contacts for the battery had come unsoldered from the circuit board. A couple minutes with a soldering iron fixed things.

Rob

Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

I carry my key fob in my jeans pocket and when I reach back between the bucket seats to grab something it depresses the REMOTE START button and a completely nude lap dancer pops up outa the storage compartment.

Different dancer every time.

No complaints here !!!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That can be fixed...

Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 AM
dgholmes59
Rookie
Talking

Originally Posted by 05Dakotaho
I carry my key fob in my jeans pocket and when I reach back between the bucket seats to grab something it depresses the REMOTE START button and a completely nude lap dancer pops up outa the storage compartment.

Different dancer every time.

No complaints here !!!
NICE! Wish mine did that.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 PM
wcoast1973

I have stumbled on a new bit of info here. I now question that it has anything to do with the FOB itself (a weak battery, bad connections, etc). This is because the FOB transmits a code. That code is either heard or not. Period. I now believe my truck always hears the request, it just forgets to respond. The reason I now am certain of this is because I have my locks set to unlock the driver's side on the first push, and all doors on the second. When it isn't responding and I am pushing it numerous times (never in rapid succession, always with a delay, so I know which push does what), I find that when it does finally respond (unlock + lights flash for the first time in the sequence), all four doors unlock. It would only do this if it had heard previous pushes and accepted them (in the module under the dash) but forgot to act on it) triggering the driver's door unlock and the flashing of the lights).

Just a new bit of info to add to the science here.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM
ripplek
Rookie
Default Key Fob

I don't have a remote start, but it will shut down in the locked position once or twice a year. It always locks remotely---it just gets stuck in the lock mode. Once I manually unlock it and drive to that magic speed where it goes into autolock, everything is good to go for several months. Wierd stuff-----

Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 AM
deadly milkman

I've also been having this problem as well..

curious.. what does fob/fobik stand for?.

Quick Reply: For those who's key fob stops working....