4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What brand rear air bags (firestone or air lift) for towing upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Bocephus660
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brand rear air bags (firestone or air lift) for towing upgrade?

i see both firestone and air lift make a very similar product for aiding the rear suspension while towing (09-11 1500). i was wondering if anyone has had any 1st hand experience with either brand?

*both products install in the inside of the coil spring
*both products appear to be VERY similar per the manufacturer's installation instructions
*both products have an inflation range of 5-35 psi
*both are priced similar
*firestone's claim to support up to 1000 lbs, air lift's claim 2000 lbs

anyone have any pros and cons to these two products?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Orange crush
Amateur

I have the Firestone bags and have no complaints. At first they leaked air but then I found they were not completely connected. Reconnected and no problems since. I read the air lift you are supposed to take off the wheels and springs. The firestone install was simple. With that, the price and quicker availability I went with the firestones a year ago and they have been fine since. I haul a 32 ft camper several times a year and they have worked great. May want to research prior posts I remember seeing a similar question a while ago.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 AM
VIS2k
Amateur

I agree with Orange Crush and have similar results. Leaked at first but hold air fine now. I'm very happy with them. Tow a 28"5th wheel.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Bocephus660

Originally Posted by VIS2k
I agree with Orange Crush and have similar results. Leaked at first but hold air fine now. I'm very happy with them. Tow a 28"5th wheel.
this is a little off topic, but what brand/style hitch do you have? how do you like it?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the 4185 firestone kit. Used to be called Ride-Rite, may be called coil-rite, whatever - it's the 4185. I put 15 PSI in the bags when towing and run 8 PSI when empty, more than that and the truck seems bouncy. I've had leaks many times but I may have finally solved the problem.
My WDH is the previous model of this kit below. I really like the way the anti sway works. I've been in some huge windstorms and crosswinds and the hitch works great.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/,66155

Quick Reply: What brand rear air bags (firestone or air lift) for towing upgrade?