4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dvd player...

Old 07-26-2009, 04:22 PM
j0e
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dvd player...

i have the 10 speaker alpine system in my truck and i think id like to upgrade.
is the factory dvd/touchscreen system any good?
will it just plug and play into what i have?
id love to see some real world pics from those of you who have this item.
also, what kinda of price do you think i can expect?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
j0e
Professional

Originally Posted by j0e
is the factory dvd/touchscreen system any good?
will it just plug and play into what i have?
hmm... noone?

i know there is interest in this topic since i have received pm's from others wanting to know this aswell.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 PM
War Horse
All Star

I have the RER unit (touch screen with Nav). Overall I like it. The steering wheel controls are almost useless, and the way it does presets pisses me off, but other than that it's a pretty feature packed unit. Of course with the factory unit the DVD function is locked out while driving (easily fixed with a $300 black box hack) and the hard drive won't do any video files as far as I can tell.

My unit was factory installed, so I've got no experience putting one in, but it seems pretty plug and play since you've got the Alpine speakers already.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:10 AM
devile
Professional

Can you elaborate on steering controls...?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 AM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Info

Hey Joe,
The factory DVD unit is good. Like anything some things could be better but overall it's a good unit. Super easy install. May be a little more involved if you hasve the full length center console. But as far as the radio itself it's just plug-n-play. They are readily availible on Ebay. Keep your eye out I got mine for under $300 and I know of quite a few others that have as well. Just watch, you need the high bus speed unit. Also some came with Sirius and some did not. The RER has navigation, the REN does not. Like someone said before you can't watch the DVD or change things on the Navigation while in motion unless you get a lockpick or Allgig for $200-$300. There is one company offering a firmware upgrade for REN's for $40, but I haven't heard of too many people going that way yet, so I don't know how well this option works. If you need any more info, just search Mygig here on the forum and you should get alot of info. One other thing, it doesn't matter what the radio came out of as long as it's a high speed unit.
Sean

Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 AM
devile
Professional

just to clarify, is the sirius not a separate module, it's build into the unit??? What about uconnect, is it a separate module or built in, so is there a chance of not getting sirius or uceonnect on the REN if you truck currently has it?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 AM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Sirius antenna is not built in but the radio tuner is built in to the radio. So you can get an REN and not get the sirius. The uconnect modue is in the truck. I'm not sure if you need another cable or not. Here's a link that gives part numbers etc. for all the different Mygigs and cars they go in.
http://www.custommagnums.com/forums/...odel-list.html
I think there's one floating around here but that was the first one I found when I googled it.
Sean

Old 07-30-2009, 01:42 PM
devile
Professional

ok, so when looking for a different radio, i need the one with the sirius tuner built in, and the uconnect capability, thanks...

Old 07-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Hal_T
Rookie

I'd like to have the DVD/GPS/Uconnect unit as well. Best price I've found is about $1800. Anyone know of a better deal?

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal_T
I'd like to have the DVD/GPS/Uconnect unit as well. Best price I've found is about $1800. Anyone know of a better deal?

jeeeez, just go with aftermarket. There's more features for a much lower price

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dvd player...