4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Rambow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal_T
The initial part they ordered was on back order for 100 trucks. Now I'm told that the "module" should be on today's UPS truck. Hopefully this part will fix it.
would you please keep us posted??

Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Hal_T
Rookie

I got my truck back late yesterday evening. They replaced some sort of module. They said it was basically the "brains" of the system. Anyway, all seems to be well now. I hope it stays that way.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal_T
I got my truck back late yesterday evening. They replaced some sort of module. They said it was basically the "brains" of the system. Anyway, all seems to be well now. I hope it stays that way.
Sounds like the TCM. TCM = transmission control module.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:02 PM
sking
Veteran

HMMMMMMMMMMMM Mine wont downshift into 1st gear at a stop. It takes off in second gear. I will see what they say about my truck when i drop it off.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
bwimmer
Default Stuck in 4th gear

New to the website but long time reader.
My new crew cab has gotten stuck in 4th gear as soon as I put in drive 3 time now in the 3 weeks I have owned it. You can not get it to go up or down with the gear selector button on the shifter( column Shifter)....Putting it back in park or reverse and back to drive will not remove it from 4th gear. It will drive but only in 4th ....does not start out in 1st. The only thing that I can do is put in park and kill the engine . After restart it will go back to normal. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for 2 days driving all of the gas out of it only to tell me that they could not find anything wrong, codes etc....
I also have had no luck from the dealer on the vibrating gas pedal... they have no feeling in their feet...

8-08 build HEMI Crew with no MDS indicator on dash.....

Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 PM
joker055
Amateur
Arrow Transmission Limp Home Mode

Chapter 5 Page 303

I wonder if this feature has anything to do with the trans getting stuck in gear?

"Transmission function is monitored for abnormal conditions. If a condition is detected that could result in transmission damage, the Transmission Limp Home Mode will be engaged. In this mode, the transmission will remain in the current gear until the vehicles is brought to a stop.

To reset the transmission, use the following procedure:
  1. Stop the vehicle
  2. Move the shift lever to the PARK position
  3. Turn OFF the engine and be sure to turn the key to the LOCK position
  4. Wait approximately 10 seconds, then restart the engine
  5. Move the shift lever to the desired gear range
If the problem is no longer detected, the transmission will return to normal operation. If the problem persists, PARK, REVERSE, and NEUTRAL will continue to operate. Only second gear will operate in the DRIVE position. Have the transmission checked at your authorized dealer as soon as possible."
Of course, I have no idea what abnormal condition could cause this...

Last edited by joker055; 08-11-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 AM
bwimmer
Default Stuck in 4th gear

Dealer could not find any codes or recalls for this problem and wanted me to bring it to them while still stuck in 4th gear. Finially this past monday 8-10-09 it happened again and I drove it to the dealership in 4th. Kinda of scary getting on busy highway from a dead stop...not alot of acceleration.. They hooked up with the computer and were able to diagnose the problem... seems there was a new Flash to fix this. It seems to have totally changed they way it shifts through the gears ...for the better in my opinion.So far not any more problems with it.
The vibration in the gas pedal seems to be dependant on the road surface. If you are traveling on asphalt surface it disappears. The noisier chip rock surface will drive you crazy tickling the bottom of your foot. I tend to use the cruise control alot more just to take my foot off of the accelerator pedal.... I did try remounting the pedal bracket with some foam rubber under it ( sacrificed one of my beer coozies) but it did not help much if any. I plan on adding a stabilizer bracket to it next to try and stiffen it up.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by bwimmer
Dealer could not find any codes or recalls for this problem and wanted me to bring it to them while still stuck in 4th gear. Finially this past monday 8-10-09 it happened again and I drove it to the dealership in 4th. Kinda of scary getting on busy highway from a dead stop...not alot of acceleration.. They hooked up with the computer and were able to diagnose the problem... seems there was a new Flash to fix this. It seems to have totally changed they way it shifts through the gears ...for the better in my opinion.So far not any more problems with it.
The vibration in the gas pedal seems to be dependant on the road surface. If you are traveling on asphalt surface it disappears. The noisier chip rock surface will drive you crazy tickling the bottom of your foot. I tend to use the cruise control alot more just to take my foot off of the accelerator pedal.... I did try remounting the pedal bracket with some foam rubber under it ( sacrificed one of my beer coozies) but it did not help much if any. I plan on adding a stabilizer bracket to it next to try and stiffen it up.
Do you drive barefoot? It is legal here where I live. I don't understand how you can feel a tickle that nobody else can feel. Maybe you need service LOL That is weird, but I understand how you feel, I had this feeling in steering column of my 98 Dakota, felt like something that could let go at some time but nobody could feel it. Then one day I was working as production coordinator in the trim area where they assemble the steering column for the Bvan and the vendor was there so I strolled over to see what the problem was. Seems the little little ujoint was just a tad loose on some not a safety hazard just a pain in the butt. So I got his name and phone number and the dealer called them and they personally guaranteed they would get paid to replace it. So they wound up changing the intermediate shaft. Became a TSB I think not sure but it sure bothered me.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Hal_T
Rookie

That is exactly what mine did. Except the last time it happened, it stayed in 4th gear.

Originally Posted by bwimmer
New to the website but long time reader.
My new crew cab has gotten stuck in 4th gear as soon as I put in drive 3 time now in the 3 weeks I have owned it. You can not get it to go up or down with the gear selector button on the shifter( column Shifter)....Putting it back in park or reverse and back to drive will not remove it from 4th gear. It will drive but only in 4th ....does not start out in 1st. The only thing that I can do is put in park and kill the engine . After restart it will go back to normal. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for 2 days driving all of the gas out of it only to tell me that they could not find anything wrong, codes etc....
I also have had no luck from the dealer on the vibrating gas pedal... they have no feeling in their feet...

8-08 build HEMI Crew with no MDS indicator on dash.....

Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an early build and I just hit 11,000 miles with 0 issues.

I am interested to see what the cause of this is.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4th gear