4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:53 PM
tmass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this same problem, but I have turned the truck off, turned it back on, put it in drive, and it functions correctly. The truck has 1200 miles on it. I will mention it to the service manager when I take it in for an oil change.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Hal_T
Rookie

Mine is an early build also. Purchased 12/08 with 11,000 miles

Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Ughh..

Have put 65 miles on my new 2009 CC 4x2 TRX. Build date 3/2009

A block away from home, pulling away from a stop sign, the acceleration was way sluggish. Noticed the numeral "4" remained on in the little box below the odometer.

Pulling into my driveway the engine died. Would not re-start. Gear indicator showed an illuminated red "R" on the instrument panel, no matter where the shifter was positioned.

Hooked up my OBDII Scanner and it spit out the following trouble codes:

P0882 TCM Signal low
P0869 Transmission Fluid pressure high
P0846 Transmission Sensor B
P0871 Transmission Sensor C
P0876 Transmission Sensor D
P0988 Transmission Sensor E

After about a 30 minute wait, the engine started but the Check Engine light remained on.

Now the dealership gets to try and do it's magic.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
PlmRam

I had the same problem with my 09 Hemi. It was back to the stealership four times in the first month that I owned the truck. Three of the four times I pulled it into the service lane stuck in fourth. The first three times the fix was to merely re-flash the truck. The fourth time I got Chrysler involved (Lemon Law time). This time around they replaced the PCM. 1200 miles later the problem seems to be corrected.

I have read other posts on Dodge websites from folks with this same issue. Replacing the PCM seems to be the ultimate fix for all of us. It's just a shame that it tales a couple of trips to the dealer with a brand new truck, with what is apparently a known problem, to resolve the issue. Other than that, with 2300 miles on the clock, this is the nicest truck that I've ever owned (I've had Fords, one Chevy, and a Gen 3 Ram).

Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
cyberbiker
Default Stuck in 4th gear

I hit this same problem yesterday on my new 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi that I bought two days before Christmas...so seems this issue is still there with the 2010 model. Was slowing down on the interstate as I approached slower traffic and "4" shows on the dash gear indicator. Had to pull off on an exit and turn off/restart the vehicle to get it out of 4th gear. Now it seems to hold a gear (seems to be 4th) as it is upshifting then shifts hard into the next gear as I accelerate. All other gears shifting is as smooth as it was before but just this one delayed shift.

Calling dealership service dept tomorrow morning to setup a time to take it in. Aside from this problem, I've been extremely pleased with the truck...and hopefully this problem can be fixed appropriately.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
PlmRam

If your experience is like the rest of us, the dealership's first fix will be to reflash. That probably won't do anything. There is a TSB for the problem and the fix is to replace the PCM. Hopefully, your dealer will do this for you right away instead of the trial and error method making you come back again and again, for a known problem.

It's too bad that this problem wasn't taken care of in the 2010's.Take heart, though; there is a fix and once it is taken care of, you will love your Ram.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
RGVram99
Professional

I have been experiencing the "stuck in 4th gear" tranny problem for the past 10,000 miles. My truck's gremlins happen intermittently so I finally got around to taking it to the dealership last week. I got my truck back and the dealer gave me two pages of rapid response and recall fixes they performed. They re-flashed the PCM to fix the tranny and so far I have not had the tranny gremlin come back. I also noticed the MDS fuel saver kicking in more around town. I don't have the fuel saver light but I can hear the cylinder shut down through my magnaflow muffler. The average MPG is up from 13-14's to 15-16's so far. I made a quick 40 mile romp down the highway and the MPG jumped to 20, never seen that happen before.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:51 AM
cyberbiker

Got my truck back from the dealership yesterday (been there 10 days which was 2 days longer than I had had it since purchase). As it turns out the problem was not with the PCM and reflashing as has been seen here with the 2009 model but apparently a factory assembly problem where the clutch was bent/misaligned (probably misquoting here) during assembly. Net, they replaced a part of the transmission that was faulty and now it is driving as smoothly as before. Though as it was raining when I picked it up, I did not notice until I got home that the tailpipe on the driver's side was angled downward and also seemed to be a bit more of a gap on the passenger side between tailpipe and rear bumper. Immediately called the dealership just in time to catch my service advisor before he headed out and he suspected that as the muffler needed to be removed for the transmission work that it wasn't re-installed properly. So now they are going to come to my house on Monday and pick it up to correct the problem then bring it back to me. Frustrating to say the least...

Last edited by cyberbiker; 01-16-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
volunteer
Amateur

I've only had the stuck in 4th problem once. My tranny problem seems to be delayed shifting when cold. If I start the truck when cold and immediately shift into reverse or drive, nothing happens for up to 5 seonds. Then there is an audible "thunk" as it drops into gear. God forbid you're actually giving it gas when this happens. I've never had this problem after the truck shifts into gear for the first time, or when it's warm.

So far it's been a minor annoyance, and the one time I've had it in to the dealership they couldn't repro it.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 AM
capsfloyd
Captain

How many miles?????

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4th gear