4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 PM
SDakRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving home tonight after work, pulling away from a stop sign I thought I was spinning on ice. Looked at the dash saw the big 4, thought i bumped the shifter, tried to get back to normal. No luck. Guess I will be visiting the dealership on Monday.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:16 AM
j-rod82
Rookie

I hate to revive this thread, but I now have this problem. Left work yesterday, truck stuggled to accelerate at a traffice light, looked down, and there was the number 4.

Drove it straight to the dealership. I hope its something that is covered under the lifetime powertrain warranty my 09 ram has.

Kinda PO'd here, I'll keep this updated though.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by j-rod82
I hate to revive this thread, but I now have this problem. Left work yesterday, truck stuggled to accelerate at a traffice light, looked down, and there was the number 4.

Drove it straight to the dealership. I hope its something that is covered under the lifetime powertrain warranty my 09 ram has.

Kinda PO'd here, I'll keep this updated though.
Please keep us posted.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:23 PM
j-rod82
Rookie

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Please keep us posted.
Turns out it was the solenoid pack and I IS covered under my warranty. I'm still disappointed this happened at only 86k miles. I don't haul or tow much at all. Load of mulch in the spring and pull a boat 3 miles a couple times a year. Other than that it never has heavy loads.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j-rod82
Turns out it was the solenoid pack and I IS covered under my warranty. I'm still disappointed this happened at only 86k miles. I don't haul or tow much at all. Load of mulch in the spring and pull a boat 3 miles a couple times a year. Other than that it never has heavy loads.
A solenoid pack sounds like an electrical item. Towing, load, or strain on the drivetrain isn't going to affect the failure of an electrical item. Rob

Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 PM
isantana508
Default joined the club

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
A solenoid pack sounds like an electrical item. Towing, load, or strain on the drivetrain isn't going to affect the failure of an electrical item. Rob
It just happened to me on my way to its first smog check at 104000 miles, any permanent solution before I take it to the shop?

Old 07-16-2015, 10:38 AM
minnesotanice

anything new on this.my 2009 1500 hemi did this a few days ago.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:47 AM
isantana508

Originally Posted by minnesotanice
anything new on this.my 2009 1500 hemi did this a few days ago.
It was the selenoid for me, took it to aamco (out of warranty) and 780.00 dls later is working just fine 6000 miles now but seems like it fixed it.
Lack of maintenance seems like it was.
I may just do it myself next time I thought it was a bit pricey for a selenoid and trans service, but that just may be my cheap self talking.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 AM
minnesotanice
Unhappy 4th gear

ok,took my truck into a trans shop that I trust, there wasnt any elec power to the trans.they don't do elec so I took it to the dealer.sais tipm was bad,replaced that,and the shift selonoid was bad.two grand later and im bacxk on the road. ouch

Old 07-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by minnesotanice
ok,took my truck into a trans shop that I trust, there wasnt any elec power to the trans.they don't do elec so I took it to the dealer.sais tipm was bad,replaced that,and the shift selonoid was bad.two grand later and im bacxk on the road. ouch
Are you the original owner? If you are and still have the lifetime powertrain warranty, then the shift solenoid work should have been free.

Here are the trans parts covered

Transmission: transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; speed sensors; pressure sensors; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for
listed components only.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 07-23-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4th gear