4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Who has used a throttle body spacer on their Hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:21 PM
dodgeitnow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snake oil not to sure

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy
Tell you what, send me half the money they want for that spacer and I'll put a magical spell on your truck that will give you ungodly amounts of horsepower and gas mileage so good you won't ever have to fill your truck up again.

Don't believe me, but you believe that putting a metal spacer between your throttle body and the intake manifold will help do anything? On a carburetor or throttle body injection set-up this will help because it will help atomize the air/fuel mixture (very little, unless you run a tunnel ram manifold). But the fuel injection in our trucks takes place on the intake manifold just above the intake port on the head. How would adding a 1/2" of length of space to the air ducting do anything at all? Think about it.

Like it's been said before - Snake oil!
I put one on an 03 dodge ram 5.7 and I could tell a differents at least 2 mpg and then adding a programmer added another 2.5 and bout to put a CAI this week

Old 01-28-2015, 10:00 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

The more money you spend on these myths the more you convince yourself they work.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:16 PM
02Regcab
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeitnow
I put one on an 03 dodge ram 5.7 and I could tell a differents at least 2 mpg and then adding a programmer added another 2.5 and bout to put a CAI this week

Im sorry that's just not possible...
If dodge could have added 2mpg by adding 3/4" of metal behind
the throttle body that "swirls" the air don't you think they would have,,
The programmer on the other hand yes can make a huge difference..

Old 01-29-2015, 01:06 PM
dodgeitnow
Default the swirl

Originally Posted by 02Regcab
Im sorry that's just not possible...
If dodge could have added 2mpg by adding 3/4" of metal behind
the throttle body that "swirls" the air don't you think they would have,,
The programmer on the other hand yes can make a huge difference..
that is the truth when I put the TBS on with the factory setting then I synv it with programmer and made a even bigger difference with mpg and huge HP so I mean so in all I got a 3.5,4 extra I run a cut out so basically I run just a cat so air flow is not a problem so TBS work don't care what anyone says

Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by NoMoreGMsForMe
The more money you spend on these myths the more you convince yourself they work.

Since you talk about myths.....in 2006 I bought a performance package from Moes Performance for my 2006 1500 Hemi Ram , who any Dodge guy knows this company. The kit was dyno tested and came with a K-N CAI, a Superchips Tuner and a helix TBS. The dyno sheet showed an increase of 45-52 HP with the total kit and varying HP increases with just parts of the kit. I would think that Moes would not have included the TBS if it didn't help make Hp. So whatever everyone wants to believe is OK with me. Personally my TBS didn't whistle at all and most mistake the CAI sounds for this supposed whistle. I will tell you this the difference with the kit compared to the truck without the kit was very noticeable, but what part if any was the part of having a TBS I will never know, but I surely loved the whole package

Last edited by Old Man with a hemi; 01-31-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:49 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is physically impossible for a Throttle Body Spacer to give any increase in HP or MPG on a 3rd of 4th gen Hemi. Any increase in power or MPG you THINK you are feeling/seeing is purely in your head. This issue is compounded when you add a TBS with other mods at the same time. Usually programmers. The actual power/MPG increase is from the programmer, not the TBS. And if you buy a "performance package" from a known company that includes a Programmer, TBS and CAI" don't assume that "it must work because why else would they throw it in the package?" The simple reason is they are trying to give you "more" for your money. "More" in this case being more in the box you just bought!

Car and truck companies spend MILLIONS on engineering an engine to give the most HP and best MPG they can because that is what sells vehicles. If a simple TBS would add HP AND lower MPG in any noticeable amount don't you think they would be adding them at the factory? It's total nonsense, like fuel line magnets. Modern day snake oil. I challenge anyone to post dyno runs before and after a TBS install showing a HP increase.

If you understand how port injection works it would be easily understandable as to why. Throttle Body spacers (and carb spacers) did actually have an impact on power on Throttle Body Injection (TBI) and Carb equipped vehicles. It did this by increasing fuel atomization and smoothing airflow as well as keeping the throttle body cool (and in turn the injectors or carb jets/bowls) since earlier vehicles had metal intake manifolds which would soak up heat from the engine. 3rd and 4th Gen Ram's have plastic intake manifolds which don't transmit anywhere near as much heat to the intake charge and the injectors are right at the ports, NOT at the Throttle body. So their is no improvement on the the fuel air mixture by moving the TB a few inches forward. Their are SOME situations where adding a spacer on a modern vehicle will increase the air volume in the intake manifold to work with a specific application such as on a custom build. But NOT on a stock vehicle. Their are plenty of online articles explaining them in detail. Great article here: http://www.ehow.com/info_12185215_ad...dy-spacer.html

Also, unless you have Headers, high flow exhaust, larger Throttle body and a tuner, a "CAI" (Unless it's a TRUE COLD air Intake (Drawing air through the hood, under the bumper or the fenderwell) will offer zero increase in HP or MPG as well. The Dodge Hemi 4th Gens factory intake flows more air then a stock engine can use making a high flow setup completely worthless.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:36 AM
dwaldmann
Professional

Originally Posted by NV290
It is physically impossible for a Throttle Body Spacer to give any increase in HP or MPG on a 3rd of 4th gen Hemi...

....The Dodge Hemi 4th Gens factory intake flows more air then a stock engine can use making a high flow setup completely worthless.
Great post, but, logic does not always prevail.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:52 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

There are people out there uninformed enough to still buy these things?

Old 01-31-2015, 10:20 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

Hey gang,
Long time, but glad to be back on the site.
With the moes ported throttle body, do you guys that still have a warranty or extended one remove it, as in when I take the ram in I return my truck back to stock tune. Would this TB show up and flag when they run their plug in to "check for updates"

Old 01-31-2015, 10:27 AM
02Regcab
Professional

Originally Posted by JohnVI
Hey gang,
Long time, but glad to be back on the site.
With the moes ported throttle body, do you guys that still have a warranty or extended one remove it, as in when I take the ram in I return my truck back to stock tune. Would this TB show up and flag when they run their plug in to "check for updates"

If you take it off there will be no evidence of it because it does absolutely nothing..

Quick Reply: Who has used a throttle body spacer on their Hemi?