4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

The complete story on the Trailer Brake Controller on 2010 Models.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:05 PM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and for us 09 guys buy an aftermarket kit, and if you are lucky and have the old connector from one of your previous trucks you are all set, just hardwire it to your controller and plug it in. I am sure we won't see the little picture of the truck pulling unless??? I don't know I haven't bothered yet.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:37 PM
rattlerun

I talked to 2 different dealerships today about this and both of them said they would install the controller and reflash my truck but they both said that they had not heard anything from Chrysler yet. Their concern was that if anything went wrong with my brakes, that I or the dealership could get into a pi**ing match seeing that it has not been sanctioned by Chrysler yet. It could screw up my warranty. Chrysler parts, Chrysler installed, I don't see it as a problem but I don't want to mess things up.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM
wobly
Amateur
Default What I learned about the OEM Brake Controller

This morning, I went to the dealership and looked at another 2010 RAM 1500 to see where the two plugs for the brake controller are located. They were right where I expected and I tried to trace the smaller one back, but it was too covered in tape to trace. So, I went to the service writer and he confirmed that I had the tow package installed and didn't know why I couldn't find the second plug. He brought in one of the technicians and he was confused as to why I didn't have two plugs for the brake controller. We even went to a new truck together and looked at the harness. After this, we consulted with the parts guys. I talked with one of the guys that was willing to look up a lot of info and we seem to have figured out what is going on.

Evidently, there are over 15 different variants of the cluster wiring harness. My truck manufacturing date is 10-09. He pulled up my VIN and tracked down that I seem to have a version 1 wiring harness. He looked and found that the integrated brake controller was added after my manufacture date.

The bottom line is that I can't use the OEM brake controller because I don't have the proper harness.

If anybody wants to buy an OEM Dodge brake controller and gray face plate for a 2010 Ram 1500, I have one to sell. I can be contacted at woblytwo (a) gmail.com. I don't want to make a profit off of it, but just want to get my money back.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
72combo
Champion

I do not believe for one second that there are 15 different wire harnesses. More like maybe 2 or 3, One for the cheap truck, One for the truck with EVIC and one for some special circumstance...even only 2. It is too expensive to handle that many parts for one item on the list of stuff you need to run this truck. Maybe they tape the wires you don't use on your trucks 15 different ways but not 15 different harnesses. I worked there not at that plant but even the minivan plant which has way more electronics when loaded, it doesn't have 15 different cluster harnesses. I am assuming we are talking the big harness that goes from under the hood to the inside the truck. I can't imagine. Same reason that we all have the same colour headliner and pillar covers on the top half at least.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
wobly
Amateur

Originally Posted by 72combo
I do not believe for one second that there are 15 different wire harnesses. More like maybe 2 or 3, One for the cheap truck, One for the truck with EVIC and one for some special circumstance...even only 2. It is too expensive to handle that many parts for one item on the list of stuff you need to run this truck. Maybe they tape the wires you don't use on your trucks 15 different ways but not 15 different harnesses. I worked there not at that plant but even the minivan plant which has way more electronics when loaded, it doesn't have 15 different cluster harnesses. I am assuming we are talking the big harness that goes from under the hood to the inside the truck..
I would agree that there shouldn't be that many different harnesses. I would also agree that I should be (maybe) 3 different ones. But, I disassembled a good part of the dash and that second plug just isn't there. So, I can believe what he said about me having a version 1 harness, especially since I seem to have everything else there.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
TI 3VOM
Veteran

I will also tell you that YOU CAN use the brake controller. I taped into the 3 wires needed with help from people on this board. It is in and working perfect in a truck without the small plug. It goes in tomorow for the flash to get the EVIC working with it. I will post the results tomorow!

PM me if you want the info!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM
wobly
Amateur

Originally Posted by TI 3VOM
I will also tell you that YOU CAN use the brake controller. I taped into the 3 wires needed with help from people on this board. It is in and working perfect in a truck without the small plug. It goes in tomorow for the flash to get the EVIC working with it. I will post the results tomorow!

PM me if you want the info!
I'd LOVE the info! PM sent.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:39 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by wobly
I would agree that there shouldn't be that many different harnesses. I would also agree that I should be (maybe) 3 different ones. But, I disassembled a good part of the dash and that second plug just isn't there. So, I can believe what he said about me having a version 1 harness, especially since I seem to have everything else there.
Although 15 variations could mean like part number 123457aa is now upgraded to 123457ab. same wire just a change but does not mean 15 harnesses out there at once if they do I could understand why we go broke. Then again 15 harnesses between, different models is a possibility now that I think about it. Mexico probably uses telephone wire because nobody cares there
I would say for just the ram 1500 no more than 3 harnesses I would bet.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM
kpevin
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rattlerun
I talked to 2 different dealerships today about this and both of them said they would install the controller and reflash my truck but they both said that they had not heard anything from Chrysler yet. Their concern was that if anything went wrong with my brakes, that I or the dealership could get into a pi**ing match seeing that it has not been sanctioned by Chrysler yet. It could screw up my warranty. Chrysler parts, Chrysler installed, I don't see it as a problem but I don't want to mess things up.

Thats a valid concern from a dealer, all it takes is one person to have a dealer do it, then crash his travel trailer and blame it on a faulty controller install and start suing. Thats the society we live in these days.

Its highly unlikely that since the controller has nothing to do with the hydraulics or the ABS it really cant screw anything up with the brakes. Even if the whole ABS system freaks out the brakes should still work as normal - but without ABS of course.

Its a 10 minute install at most and it works fine without the dealer flash so if you are nervous about warranty concerns than dont get the flash done and install it yourself. If something happens take it out or simply unplug it.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM
TI 3VOM
Veteran

My dealer is ok with it all. I can't vouch for others though. It is always good to talk to your dealer about things like this. Mine is 100% behind the leveling kit they installed as well.

Quick Reply: The complete story on the Trailer Brake Controller on 2010 Models.