4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

The complete story on the Trailer Brake Controller on 2010 Models.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2010 the trailer brake info shows up in the EVIC under 'Vehicle Info', in the same area as coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, etc.

If you don't have it in the EVIC I wouldn't worry about it as long as it controls the trailer brakes OK. It's not like it really tells you much...

Rob

Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 PM
cyberbiker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally took a long trip towing my travel trailer with my truck since I got the brake controller installed. Everything was fine except about 3 hours into the trip I started getting periodic messages on the EVIC of "Trailer Brake is Disconnected" followed by about 15-30 seconds later a message of "Trailer Brake connected". Got this sequence several times during the trip.

Has anyone else seen this?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 AM
yotaman96
Rookie

Originally Posted by cyberbiker
Finally took a long trip towing my travel trailer with my truck since I got the brake controller installed. Everything was fine except about 3 hours into the trip I started getting periodic messages on the EVIC of "Trailer Brake is Disconnected" followed by about 15-30 seconds later a message of "Trailer Brake connected". Got this sequence several times during the trip.

Sounds like you may have had a loose connection when you plugged in your trailer lights.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by 1500TRX
I went on dealer connect tonight and got the wiring diagram of what is what in relation to the brake module itself and solder to the pigtail from the module. You can't get the pigtails, I had to call in a favor on someone who builds them at JCI (vendor) off an old damaged harness.

I just figured I would give it a shot and try anyway.

Yellow/red= Fused + 12 volt
White= brake lamp switch output
Dark green= trailer tow brake
Black/dark green= ground

The other three you refer to on the smaller connector are:
white/light blue= can bus(-)
white/light green= can bus(+)
pink/light green= ignition run/start control output.

All taken from dealer connect: C10C5-92 Electronic trailer brake accelormeter-performance or incorrect operation pages (1-5)
So I have the wire connector from an older truck that plugs right into the blue plug. What you are saying is we hard wire the four wires and skip the canbus ones and theoretically it should work but not show up in the Evic....if if works who cares and after market one wont show up in the evic. That would be nice. Well If if works let us know.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
kpevin
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberbiker

you have a loose connection in the brakes somewhere, could be a bad ground as well. If your lights dont blink when hitting bumps most likely a bad connection in the brakes somewhere, the plugs get corroded over time, first place to check.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
1500TRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by 72combo
So I have the wire connector from an older truck that plugs right into the blue plug. What you are saying is we hard wire the four wires and skip the canbus ones and theoretically it should work but not show up in the Evic....if if works who cares and after market one wont show up in the evic. That would be nice. Well If if works let us know.
Just the four wires did not work, you will need the small connector with the pink/green wire to tie into an ignition-on wire under the dash as well. I haven't had time to finish the job yet. I will try it again later on weekend whne I have some free time.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 AM
cyberbiker

Originally Posted by kpevin
you have a loose connection in the brakes somewhere, could be a bad ground as well. If your lights dont blink when hitting bumps most likely a bad connection in the brakes somewhere, the plugs get corroded over time, first place to check.
Thanks, I will check out the wiring on the trailer. I did notice this behavior on bad patches of road so I suspect the bumps are exposing the issue as you mention.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
wolfmark
Rookie

Just at the dealer yesterday, have the controller on order for a 8-12-10 delivery date. The parts department gave me a slightly different part number for the controller: 56029431-AG

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 PM
No Tow
Default Brake controller help!

I have read your posts and the posts from so many other people. I have a 2010 Ram 1500 that didn't come with the brake controller installed. Like all of the rest of the people, the dealers don't know about the part or don't want to be involved. Since you were able to get the brake controller for your 2010, would you be willing to assist me in getting the brake controller? I would be willing to drive to West Virginia to have the dealer program the controller for me as well.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM
crazy5806
Default brake controller issues

I have a 2010 ram 1500 laramie Qc 4x4 it of course is all decked out other than not having the trailer brake controller. I bought controller from dealer and installed it my self and had it added to build sheet and had system flashed it shows up in evic like it is supposed to but trailer brakes don't work. I am at a loss here has anybody elese had this problem? talked to dodge and customer service and all they seem to be able to tell me is that the controller will only work as a replacement and won't work as add on.

sorry about long post
will be greatful for any help in this matter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The complete story on the Trailer Brake Controller on 2010 Models.