4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2010 Big Horn Hemi: sizing winter rim/tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 PM
DOO-DREW
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mawgie
Thanks for the input, folks. I'm quite sure I can get where I am going with the stock Wrangler HPs on the 20" factory chrome rims.

I should have been more specific. My objectives are to to dramatically IMPROVE winter driving traction, and also take the chromes off to spare them from the brutality of winter road conditions and the chemicals applied to the roads here in Upstate NY.

For example, on my '06 2500 Cummins Ram, I replaced the stock Michelien LTXs with Cooper Discover ATRs when the Michelins wore out. The Coopers have a more open pattern, and the truck went much, miuch better in wet snow and the type of mud and slop I occasionally encounter when field hunting for geese, which calls for driving on wet, rutted field laneways.

I found some factory 18s on CL, brand new takeoffs, but the guy is asking $500 per, and I don't know (yet) if that is with the TPMS sensors. Sounds a little steep.

Ditto on being able to drive in winter with the HP's but for a few hundered $$ more... why not have some sure-footed traction. The HP's just spin in way too many conditions in 4x4 for my liking. I guess it depends on where/what you really call winter diving. Some places freak out and shut down towns for a couple inches of snow. I'm like... the more the better. After 5 years and 2 previous Ram's with them... I'm soooo glad their gone, thier just an oversized car tire. This way when I have to do some whit-knuckle driving... it will actually be bad out.

I'd say $400 for the rims with TPMS. Their $75 each as a replacement part. Good luck on the purchase... you'll be better off.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM
randomdef
Professional

unless I'm on sheer ice (which nothing will help) I've never had wheel spin in 4x4.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 AM
frogslinger
Captain

I guess it no longer snows in Alberta...

I could get wheel spin on wet roads in 4x4...

To the OP: google tire size calculator and play with one until you find a tire and wheel package that meets your needs. If you are worried about low traction situations spec tires can help out a great deal.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Mawgie

Caffeine-

I agree 100% that the Blizzaks are excellent.
I had a set once on sedan, but stupidly left them on into early May.
The warmer road temps did them in early.

Steel 17" rims would be fine, but I'd like something that looks a little slicker.

The guy on CL here wants $500 per rim for new factory 18" takeoffs WITHOUT TPMS sensors. That's ridiculous to me.

I'm going to nose around on sme of the online tire store sites, and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the solid input.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 AM
randomdef
Professional

Originally Posted by frogslinger
I guess it no longer snows in Alberta...

I could get wheel spin on wet roads in 4x4...
I'd just think you have no idea how to drive rather than climate shift. I could make my car fly off a building if wanted, doesn't mean I will.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 AM
frogslinger
Captain

Originally Posted by randomdef
I'd just think you have no idea how to drive rather than climate shift. I could make my car fly off a building if wanted, doesn't mean I will.
I lived at the bottom of a 12% grade that ran out onto a boat dock. Out in the country. In Northern Michigan.

When it snowed no matter what you drove the wheels were spinning.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 AM
gutty96
Veteran

Originally Posted by frogslinger
I lived at the bottom of a 12% grade that ran out onto a boat dock. Out in the country. In Northern Michigan.

When it snowed no matter what you drove the wheels were spinning.
My driveway is a lot worse then that in the winter, and I have NEVER needed winter tires on my Sierra, so I doubt I will for the Ram now.

Here is what I deal with.

This is the top...

Name:  DSC00667.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  46.9 KB

But first, I have to round this corner...

Name:  pic2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  83.2 KB

And I have to start, down there...

Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  72.9 KB

Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Mopar21277
Rookie

The stock HPs are absolutely junk IMO, especially when they get some mileage on them. On my '05, in the late spring of 2007, we had a late season storm, not even that much snow. While locked into 4hi, navigating a reasonable turn near work on a 45 mph road at 25mph, I nearly plowed straight off the road with the HPs on. When I got to work, I ordered a set of Pirellis...

For 4 winters, I ran Bridgestone Blizzaks on a set of factory chrome clad steel 17's, the difference is night and day, particularly with some weight in the back! Essentially no matter what the weather is/was, I was confident in driving anywheres with the Blizzaks, get them, you will love them!

Plus any of the 17's from 2002 to the present will fit the '10s; my Blizzaks are going on for sure this winter.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 AM
frogslinger
Captain

Originally Posted by gutty96
My driveway is a lot worse then that in the winter, and I have NEVER needed winter tires on my Sierra, so I doubt I will for the Ram now.

Here is what I deal with.
Nice house.

It is hard to tell grades in a picture but that looks to be about a 6-8% average...

There was a right angle turn at the bottom of my hill as if you went straight you were on a boat ramp... There was also a decent amount of ice due to the wind carrying water of the lake.

My ex could get up the street in her FWD car with a lot of slipping, everyone with a 4x4 could get up it as long as their tires were not too bald. Everyone had some wheel slip.

Back when I had my thunderbird if there was more than 4 inches of snow I parked at the top of the hill. If it snowed excessively at night I did not even bother and just called into work.

Quick Reply: 2010 Big Horn Hemi: sizing winter rim/tires