4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help! Door latch removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
R RAMirez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Door latch removal

Hey guys - my first post in this forum. I have a problem and need some help. Got a 2009 Ram. The drivers side door will not lock or unlock when using the the key fob or the door switch. It will, though, unlock from the inside when using the door handle. I am trying to remove the latch assembly so I can take a look at it, and determine if I have to buy a new one.
I unhooked all the rods to the latch assembly, and removed the three screws that hold the assembly to the door. Everything I have read so far says the assembly should come out now...wrong. The assembly is still attached to the black plastic panel (the panel that the window motor and speakers are mounted to) by a black plastic piece. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how remove the assembly and black plastic piece from the panel. From what little I can see, there might be some clips holding it on. Can anyone give me some guidance as to how to remove the latch assembly?

Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the latch on the side of the door? If so then it comes out as part of the carrier panel.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
R RAMirez

Yes, the latch on the side of the door. The one that holds the door closed. When you say 'carrier panel', are you talking about the black plastic panel that is visible after you take of the interior panel?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:03 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by R RAMirez
Yes, the latch on the side of the door. The one that holds the door closed. When you say 'carrier panel', are you talking about the black plastic panel that is visible after you take of the interior panel?
Yes. The factory service manual shows that the latch is connected to the carrier panel and that the panel must be removed to remove the latch.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
2011BlackRam
Professional

Was this what the recall was for? I got a recall for door locks not functioning properly.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM
R RAMirez

I don't know anything about the recall. I should probably look into that. In the mean time, just one more question about the carrier panel - are there any instructions out there on how to remove that panel? If not, would it be safe to assume that in order to get that panel out, I need to first remove the window?

Thank for all the help guys.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:54 PM
oldjeep
Champion

1. Remove the trim panel (6). (Refer to 23 - Body/Door - Front/PANEL, Door Trim - Removal)
2. Remove the door speaker. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8A - Audio and Video/Audio and Video/SPEAKER - Removal)

3. If required, reinstall the regulator handle or window switch to enable lowering of the glass (1) for access to the glass attachment clips (2) through the speaker opening and the service access plug.
4. Separate the glass clips (2) from the regulator lift plates (3 and 4).
5. Raise the glass (1) into the full up position and secure in place using tape or equivalent.
6. Disconnect the door electrical connector.

NOTE: The following illustration shows a typical door harness connector.
7. Peel the A Pillar grommet (1) off of the connector/retainer and move it up the wire harness.
8. Grasp the wire harness (2) by the convolute section of the grommet and gently pull the wire harness down towards the floor to expose the connector lock tabs.
CAUTION: Do not force the locking tab past the connector body, as damage to the connector may occur.

9. While still pulling down on the harness, use a small slotted screw driver (3) to gently push one of the top lock tabs until the lock feature is flush with the connector/retainer body.
10. Repeat the step 3 for the remaining top lock tab.
11. The connector should now be able to rock out of the sheet metal hole without causing any damage to the connector or sheet metal.

12. Remove the service access plug (2) and disconnect the exterior handle linkages (1).

Quick Reply: Please help! Door latch removal