4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple of problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 PM
SomeHotPhototaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of problems

Hello Dodge Rammers! how's it hanging? LOL! .

For the past 2 to 3 weeks my father has been noticing on his 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 series Laramie while shifting through the gears at 50 miles per hour the truck doesn't want to pick up and go unless he floors it. Also I did noticed 2 days ago that the right back passenger seat heater when you have it on it smells like something is burning even my dad smelt it. We scheduled for service this Monday. I will keep everyone posted as we go Monday and what they tell us.

Has anyone else experience these two issues?

Last edited by SomeHotPhototaker; 10-28-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had either of these two issues...curious to know what the burning smell is...does the burning smell stay or is it just upon initial start up of the heater? (I see it says your from SoFla, you don't need heaters there!haha ) I am from Pembroke Pines, but live up in dirty jersey now....

Also what gearing does he have in the truck, is he driving up any kind of incline when he has to "floor it"...

Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 PM
SomeHotPhototaker

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
Never had either of these two issues...curious to know what the burning smell is...does the burning smell stay or is it just upon initial start up of the heater? (I see it says your from SoFla, you don't need heaters there!haha ) I am from Pembroke Pines, but live up in dirty jersey now....

Also what gearing does he have in the truck, is he driving up any kind of incline when he has to "floor it"...
When I turned on the seat heater I first smelt the burning smell after 2 minutes being on then turned the heater off. Then re-tried it same thing so I am thinking it's either the heater system itself or the wires becoming defective. I'll try it tomorrow so my father can officially say its been tested 2 different times and days.

As far as the 50mph not wanting to go either switching through the gears it's a steady straight road on both interstates, highways, and normal roads in town.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:53 AM
LU229
Banned

Sounds like you better get to a dealer for a freebee check over. I wish you alot of luck, the dealers aren`t real brilliant.

Dont be surprised if the seats and or wiring catch fire. (likely a bad connector, resistence causes heat, connector CAN catch fire)
Cant remember what dodge forum i was on, but a guy almost lost his truck from the wiring burning under the seat.
His seat wiring harness burned up, and also burnt the carpet up, had alot of smoke damage within the interior too.
I would be VERY causious, and get it checked out ASAP...!!!!

The "pick up and go" is kinda hard to diagnoise without actully being ther to test drive the truck.
These trucks have throttle by wire gas pedals, and the programming of the pooters are slow to react.
By the time the truck actually moves AFTER hittin the gas pedal, the time and delay involved is quite great.
It takes time for a reaction because it has to go thru a ton of things before you get some results.
Also, these trucks will sometimes hesitate and or stumble when you slam it to the floor when cruising at 55mph.
It has to unlock the torque convertor, come back out of MDS mode, so the transition CAN sometimes be a little slow to react.
Maybe suggest doing a GOOD quality video of a roadtest to show us what its doing...???
Good sound & video quality showing BOTH the speedometer & tach will help alot to see whats going on.

Last edited by LU229; 10-29-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LU229
Sounds like you better get to a dealer for a freebee check over. I wish you alot of luck, the dealers aren`t real brilliant.

Dont be surprised if the seats and or wiring catch fire. (likely a bad connector, resistence causes heat, connector CAN catch fire)
Cant remember what dodge forum i was on, but a guy almost lost his truck from the wiring burning under the seat.
His seat wiring harness burned up, and also burnt the carpet up, had alot of smoke damage within the interior too.

The "pick up and go" is kinda hard to diagnoise without actully being ther to test drive the truck.
These trucks have throttle by wire gas pedals, and the programming of the pooters are slow to react.
By the time the truck actually moves AFTER hittin the gas pedal, the time and delay involved is quite great.
It takes time for a reaction because it has to go thru a ton of things before you get some results.
Also, these trucks will sometimes hesitate and or stumble when you slam it to the floor when cruising at 55mph.
It has to unlock the torque convertor, come back out of MDS mode, so the transition CAN sometimes be a little slow to react.
Maybe suggest doing a GOOD quality video of a roadtest to show us what Then leaving Monday for two weeks ugh.. doing...???
Good sound & video quality showing BOTH the speedometer & tach will help alot to see whats going on.
Couldn't agree more...a video can really help, if you get it up before heading to the dealer....

I've read on a few forums that a

bad coilpack has gone bad n the performance has decreased...but if that were the case I'd think it would be noticed at all speeds as opposed to just 55 MPH range...let us know what the dealer says!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
SomeHotPhototaker

Thank you for the replies...The service tech team at the dealership looked at the heat motor as he called it and the wires he claims he never found anything that would cause the burning smell he said try it again to see if it happens if it does then come back and the team will diagnose the problem area.

Now for the slow paced at 55mpg switching through the gears he claims that the Hemi under the hood is searching for horse power and some what needs to be cleaned out through the vacuum line with treatment of some sort. He was about to clean it out until his service assistant manager came over and etc happen. He also did say use something like Seafoam, Lucas Oil & ZMax and clean out the gas tank doing it that way while the truck is full of gas and etc.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by RamThisUSMC
Thank you for the replies...The service tech team at the dealership looked at the heat motor as he called it and the wires he claims he never found anything that would cause the burning smell he said try it again to see if it happens if it does then come back and the team will diagnose the problem area.

Now for the slow paced at 55mpg switching through the gears he claims that the Hemi under the hood is searching for horse power and some what needs to be cleaned out through the vacuum line with treatment of some sort. He was about to clean it out until his service assistant manager came over and etc happen. He also did say use something like Seafoam, Lucas Oil & ZMax and clean out the gas tank doing it that way while the truck is full of gas and etc.
Just my 2 cents,
your dealer is full of ****, i`ve never heard such BS, find another dealer if you can and get a second opinion.
Your info says 2011 truck, is this the same vehicle you`re having issues with...?
If it is, i still stand by my thoughts on it above. Go to another dealer.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229

Maybe suggest doing a GOOD quality video of a roadtest to show us what its doing...???

That was me with the seat wire fire.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
WNDERR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your dealer's mechanic is nuts............ Find one that is competent. Nothing that new should need any kind of cleaning whatsover...... If it does, warrantee should cover whatever is defective......

Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Bro your mechanic is blowing smoke..take it to another dealer, that is complete BS, if this is a 2011 and your engine needs to be cleaned...how many miles are on your truck? I'd flip my lid if my dealer told me that...I'd possibly have them reflash the computer for that and see if that makes a difference. Is the seat still have the burn smell?

agh, I hate when these dealers spit puke out there mouth!!! Rant over, sorry!

Quick Reply: Couple of problems